Menu

MOH vs SOTW vs Ambleside

I am interested on history for a 1st grade level. also I would like to follow or combine Bible History. I've never seen Mystery of History and wonder what was the content like aside the sample pages and if it worked with little ones. I have a 6/7yr old and a 4/5 yr old. So no older kids.

is it a 4yr rotation? is that too fast? is it confusing to little kids to be exposed to an integrated History?

Also, what does Ambleside use and what is its rotation. Is it hard to add/combine Bible History?

same questions for SOTW, what is its rotation?

do you all combine Geography with History? what do you use for your little ones.

Thanks

K

SOTW would be a better fit for your dd's age. I prefer MOH but it is best for older students (4-7th grade)

SOTW has maps in the activity book.

I love the 4 year rotation and suggest you read The Well Trained Mind

Sorry I have no experience with Ambleside

Ambleside's Yr 1 history rotation starts with the Roman invasion of Britain so it would be basically New Testament history if you wanted to integrate. Our Island Story doesn't have Biblical history in it. Trial and Triumph is used in the early years. It covers early Christians to modern day. My boys read it but I opted to skip it with my oldest dd because some of the descriptions of martyrdom were too graphic for her. You could structure NT Bible readings early in Term One to fit the time frame.

thank u for the heads up on MOH grade levels. I was reading the curriculum site and they said it could be use even in K. I guess they have timelines and coloring book activities to keep the occupied while listening.

thank you for directing to the ambleside scope. I feel like I read that website 1mill times and can't understand their sci and History rotation. I will look at the options suggested.

Have you looked at Simply Charlotte Mason? They have a 6 year rotation, so you go through the cycle twice instead of three times and they try to integrate the bible more with the history. It might work well for you. Here is their Scope and here is their Module 1 Manual which they have just updated. I think it would be perfect for your ages.

Good luck,

Have you looked at Simply Charlotte Mason? They have a 6 year rotation, so you go through the cycle twice instead of three times and they try to integrate the bible more with the history. It might work well for you. Here is their Scope and here is their Module 1 Manual which they have just updated. I think it would be perfect for your ages.

Good luck,

This is what I was coming to suggest. I agree, have a look!

I haven't used any of the other resources you mentioned, but I did MOH 1 with DD when she was in 1st grade, and 2 and part of 3 when she was in 2nd grade, and she really liked it. We didn't do a lot of extras -- just read the text and occasionally got extra library books. So, I wouldn't throw it out as a possibility. That being said, I don't think she retained a lot...but maybe that would be true of any world history done at that age. We'll probably use it again starting when DD is in 5th grade, with the younger boys as a tag along. I think i am pretty settled on doing a rotation of

Year 1: Ancients through Early church

Year 2: Middle ages through early Renaissance

Year 3: American history thru Civil War (incorporating later Renaissance and other world history topics in older grades, but not younger)

Year 4: American history after the Civil War to the present, again, with more world history content as the kids get older.

It's more American history than some people do...but I think this is what is a good fit for us.

retention would be really nice. that is why I wanted to lightly touch all timeline in one year for k-2nd let's say mainly because that age is just an exersice in exposure and learning how to learn. I hoped EPIKARDIA would help, but I was unable to collect books in a timely matter (i would try ILL too late for the week's lesson) otherwise I liked how they integrated Bible with History and even some Science.

how heavy is MOH in book lists? are they a book list curriculum or their book be enough?

you mentioned activities you did not do. were they too silly or hard to prep for? too advanced?

I love ambleside, but not the history as you go through the elementary years. I wouldn't go that route unless you are wanting to *do* a CM education.

SOTW is excellent! When we did SOTW 1, we also went through Greenleaf's Guide to the OT. It doesn't match up perfectly, and that's OK. In order to match everything up perfectly, you'd have to short-change something. And - kids remember the story about ______ from last month. AND - it's great for long-term retention if they are nudged to remember things from a month ago, or several months ago. Having it NOT match up actually helps it stick. ime

We go through Grealeaf's Guide to OT about every other year as a family, no matter where we are in history. It's a great resource. So simple. I wish there were something similar for the NT.

retention would be really nice. that is why I wanted to lightly touch all timeline in one year for k-2nd let's say mainly because that age is just an exersice in exposure and learning how to learn. I hoped EPIKARDIA would help, but I was unable to collect books in a timely matter (i would try ILL too late for the week's lesson) otherwise I liked how they integrated Bible with History and even some Science.

how heavy is MOH in book lists? are they a book list curriculum or their book be enough?

you mentioned activities you did not do. were they too silly or hard to prep for? too advanced?

It really isn't just a "booklist" curriculum. You can get a lot out of just reading the text -- it is meaty! There are a lot of fun books on the middle ages (and DD could handle more, so we did more), so we read more from that period, and just a few picture books for ancients. We read most of these books for her 2nd grade year: https://www.worldcat.org/profiles/aragon95/lists/2742603

As far as the activities go, some of it was lack of interest on her part. I would say something like, "look at this neat craft we can make about Egypt!" And she said "no thanks, I would rather just make up my own crafts to do"...LOL! Also, for the second half of her first grade year and into her 2nd grade year I was pregnant and then of course had a little baby who didn't sleep well the rest of 2nd grade year...so I was pretty exhausted and not much for pushing any activities if she wasn't into it. I also totally failed on a timeline, which is something I wanted to do (and did really well for the 1st half of the 1st grade year), but then once I was more tired, it was easy for me to drop it.

thank you for that, maybe I will like it but they might not.

I am also pregnant due yesterday so my school will be very basic. math, sci, lang arts, history/Bible/geography

but since i've been so big latly I am content that each kid follows their chores, a Math and a reading/writing depending on age. and then lot's of play time outside.