Menu

Other quality writing programs besides WWE, WS, IEW and EIW?

Writing Strands and Understanding Writing.

I love the way both of them teach writing: no formulas, no gimmicks, no check lists, just...writing instruction.

Understanding Writing teaches writing by having the children write letters. It encourages children to use strong nouns and verbs instead of a boatload of adjectives and adverbs (which Writing Strands does, as well, but it does it differently).

We've used WWE1-3. Next year we're trying Classical Composition Fables (Memoria Press) and just a little of WWE4. My plan is to use it as a bridge to Writing With Skill, but we'll just see how it goes. Of course, I don't have a review to give you!

Classical Writing

http://www.classicalwriting.com/index.htm

I have used Aesop, Homer, Diogenes, and Herodotus books; I have not gotten to the Poetry levels though. I really like how all the levels from Aesop A (3rd grade) to Diogenese B (8th grade) use the lessons learned in grammar to analyze the writing models and are incorporated in their writing projects. Then the grammar is done and they schedule in formal logic in Herodotus (9th grade). The last chapter then applied the logic learned to writing... not something I've seen anywhere else. Rhetoric concepts are taught in pieces throughout the whole program.

hths

The Lively Art of Writing is a small, thin book that provides excellent instruction in writing persuasive essays. It is suitable for a semester-long course anytime between 8th-12th grades.

DD10 began using Writing Strands Level 3 in January and her writing has improved DRAMATICALLY. I do not know what it is about the program that has clicked with her, but her sentence variation is more interesting, her word choice is clearer, and she does not complain about writing anymore. Obviously, this is a huge bonus for me. The author even suggest taking some time off between assignments, but she does not want to. She is happily moving right along through the program.