Menu

$450 co-pay?!?!?

busymama7

I know how frustrating it is. I used to get upset too, thinking we are paying so much each month then to be hit with large copays and deductibles. Seemed like an awful lot of the expenses were our responsibility. Now though I'm so thankful for our insurance. What we've paid in premiums along with employers contributions can't even begin to cover all my daughters ongoing medical expenses. Last year at this time we were a family of seven who rarely went to doctors, never had someone in the hospital and only one prescription medication.

This year my daughter has been diagnosed with an ultra rare disease, spent 35 days in the PICU and will spend the rest of her life on medication that currently is $64,000.00 every time she gets an infusion which happens every two weeks. If she doesn't have medication she will die. We are so thankful we have insurance. We do not qualify for Medicaid. We make "too much". There is no way we could pay her bills out of pocket. Just the copays and all the deductibles add up to about $1000 per month and we paid out of pocket close to $20,000 last year (hospital stay was in September) I'm a big believer in always having some type of insurance. You never know what the future holds for you.

Not questioning you , but the system.

How in the heck could a medication cost $64k?!? What raw materials can cost that much??

It's been a long two days. My husband had a very close call and another man is dead. It's dumb that I am even worried about this but like I said I was keyed up and couldn't sleep. I saw mention that this went political but I haven't even read the posts so feel free to just end it right here. I will read them after I get some sleep. But have no desire to get into a political fight. I just wanted suggestions on other ways to handle medical care.

:grouphug: How scary! And how sad for the other man's family. :(

Take care.

Drug pricing has almost nothing to do with raw materials.

Drug companies suck.

I have no doubt of that. I get that medicines are expensive to develop. But I CAN. NOT. wrap my brain around $64K!!! We are selling our first home--4 bedrooms, 1400 sq. ft.--on the market for $70K!! So, you can buy a HOUSE or this one dose of a drug!! How is this not illegal in some way???

Not questioning you , but the system.

How in the heck could a medication cost $64k?!? What raw materials can cost that much??

Not in the same tier or circumstance, but 8 months of a single medication during my pregnancy with DD the Younger ran over $50,000.

So, in the future, if this family loses their insurance, they can pay a fine and join the government plan, right? Does anyone who has ever dealt with the government really think that the government will pick up this $64k tab??? No chance!!

So, in the future, if this family loses their insurance, they can pay a fine and join the government plan, right? Does anyone who has ever dealt with the government really think that the government will pick up this $64k tab??? No chance!!

You do realize that the two largest health care "insurance" providers in our country are Medicare and the VA health care system, right?

My daughter is on a drug called Soliris which is the only FDA approved medication for Atypical Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome. It is the most expensive drug in the world currently. Fortunately there is another drug going to trial right now that will be administered more like a diabetics pump but who knows how much that will cost. Some of my daughter's cost is outpatient care, due to her anaphylacitc reaction while in the hospital, home care isn't possible, we live too far from a pediatric hospital. I think they get it down to insurance pays 32,000 per visit so cost hospital charges is inflated. Her PICU stay was $880,000 just for the hospital part.

Costs for medical care are amazing.

I know it's probably very little comfort, but my dd had to go see a pediatric urologist. We had one visit - nothing special, just your average new patient visit with no tests beyond a simple urinalysis and our portion was just about $400. I don't remember what the ER copay is, but I do know it went up significantly (as has our deductible) in the last couple of years. Part of the reason is that our health insurance now actually covers things whereas before general wellness type services were not covered for anyone over 4 years old.

Call the provider and ask about payment plans. Around here most of the medical providers do not charge interest. There was one year where we had to pay for my son to go to the ER (in an ambulance) and we were able to pay our portion of both the hospital and ambulance bills for as little as $15-25 a month. It took awhile, but in the end coming up with the monthly payment for the co-pay/deductible was far easier than it wold have been if we had to pay the whole thng on our own.

No... because there is NOT a govt plan to sign up for, unless they are eligible for medicaid or medicare. They pay a fine if they don't purchase a private plan, either on their own, or through one of the exchanges. Paying the fine does not put them on a plan.

This is not entirely accurate. When that part goes into effect, supposedly, there will be options. It remains to be seen what that is, but the idea is not that they don't offer options and fine people when they don't take them up on their non options.

There are options from private companies, which can be purchased via the exchanges. The exchanges are run by states and/or federal govt (depending on the state one lives in) but the insurance is from a private insurance company.