Menu

ISO: Solid Astronomy Book/program

DD 11 would like an astronomy book or curriculum that goes more in depth than the typical middle school books seem to go. However, she loves the pictures and charts that are often missing from high school texts. What have you used that your child enjoyed??

Real Science-4-Kids has Focus on Middle School Astronomy that is gorgeous and pretty advanced. Athena's Academy uses it for their middle school astronomy as well:

http://store.gravitaspublications.com/level-1-grades-5-8/middle-school-unit-studies-astronomy/middle-school-astronomy-student-textbook.html

There is a companion workbook as well.

I like Apologia, too (though I rewrote it for our use -- Christian is not the problem in our house, Creationism is) but I don't think it goes in more depth than a good middle school text, esp. because it doesn't touch stuff like cosmology, black holes, galaxy formation, planet formation, &c. We loved it in first grade with the addition of How the Universe Works DVDs.

If she wants depth + pretty pictures, I'd look at the mid level Intellego course. I don't always like the online format of their lessons, but the content is robust and if you have time to adjust it to suit you I think it would be a good choice. We have not used this particular course though (we have used others). ETA-- this is secular.

For a good book recommendation, try PMing Ruth in New Zealand (board name lewelma) -- she is a scientist & has great recommendations for spine books & accompanying DVDs.

• 1 month later...