Menu

Moving from Texas to New York and questions about returning to PS

If two years we will be moving from Texas to New York and my kids may be entering public school in grades 11, 10 and 8. Reading the somewhat vague hs regs regarding returns to public school in NY, I think they say that a local school district superintendent can grant credits for high school work at their discretion? So a superintendent could refuse to accept the coursework my rising junior has done and agree to only admit her as a freshmen? Am I reading this correctly?

So, if this is true I am thinking I need a "cover" or "umbrella" school-some place that will let us do what we want but be willing to issue a transcript. Something official. Real or not real??

What school?

So confused.

Jennifer

If two years we will be moving from Texas to New York and my kids may be entering public school in grades 11, 10 and 8. Reading the somewhat vague hs regs regarding returns to public school in NY, I think they say that a local school district superintendent can grant credits for high school work at their discretion? So a superintendent could refuse to accept the coursework my rising junior has done and agree to only admit her as a freshmen? Am I reading this correctly?

So, if this is true I am thinking I need a "cover" or "umbrella" school-some place that will let us do what we want but be willing to issue a transcript. Something official. Real or not real??

What school?

So confused.

Jennifer

This is true of most states.

You would have your own transcript, right? In fact, you would want to walk into the new school with transcripts for all your dc, and standardized test scores (yes, even though Texas doesn't require it), and immunization records, possibly even photocopies of your dc's birth certificates. You are less likely to have problems if you have all those things.

Enrolling your dc in a distance-learning school of some kind won't guarantee that the superintendent will accept your dc's credits. It might help, but there are no guarantees.

Thanks.

I will email the superintendent closer to time. Hopefully I can find a homeschooler who has entered this particular district before we move.

Westfield Academy and Central School, anyone??? :)

But you really need to know now, so you can decide whether or not to use an umbrella school, right? Or will the service go back and verify work done in previous years?

Schools and districts that routinely accept parental transcripts for high school are few and far between. If going to high school was on our radar at all, I would use a service from the get-go.

If you know you have two years to go, I would either:

1) Enroll my kids in a virtual school--so that it's not as iffy (at least for the high schoolers). Does your state have K12 or something similar? Although not idea, NY is a far tougher state in terms of requirements, Regent's diploma, etc.

2) If that's not possible, I would at least be in contact with them now, rather than later. Can you share with them proposed curricula and see what they say? I'd much rather have them say "No, xyz would not be credited for 9th grade English" than find out two years later. You should gear your curriculum towards the Regent's standards.

I don't think an umbrella school would do anything for you in regards to getting a NY district to accept work. If it's possible for your kids to take the High School Regent's exams, for the various topics, that would be the best in terms of getting credit. NY now requires kids to pass all five Regents exams to graduate.

Here are some past examples:

http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/regentsexams.htm

My vote would be to STAY IN TEXAS.... good grief!

Why on God's green Earth would ANYONE want to leave Texas!?!?!?!

j/k...kinda. hope you find your answers.

- a currently displaced Texan

Ask that in October, but never in June-September. There are about a 100 little Fahrenheit reasons why I want to leave Texas right now...but I come to my senses again when it is 70 degrees and beautiful in October.

EDITING -- When you said New York, I thought you meant New York City!!!!!!! But keeping the post in case someone wants an opinion.

Heigh Ho gave you a lot of excellent advice. I wanted to add one website recommendation:

http://insideschools.org

It has a section on 'How to apply to high school.' It's good that you are planning several years ahead, because the process is convoluted. There are some wonderful public schools in NYC. Although I grew up in NYC, it was so long ago that nothing is the same. But ds plays chess in NYC, and we meet kids (and parents) from lots of different schools. I think it's a great place to get an education, if you choose your school carefully. The video, 'New to NYC schools' will lead you to other helpful videos. Check out the video on specialized high schools.

One other thing to keep in mind is that many families are moving back to NYC from the suburbs. (That's census data, not just anecdotes.) It means that schools, sports, activities can get booked up very quickly, because there is so much demand.

If it's the Westfield school in Chautauqua County, that's about as far as one can get from NYC and still be in NY state! lol We live in the same county but I don't know any homeschoolers in that district to ask how easy or hard the district is to work with. If that is the school that you're talking about, Jennifer, I can ask on our local homeschooling group's FB page and see if anyone there knows.

The state dept of ed has quite a bit of info on transfers:

"5. Can a student earn transfer credit for work done at other educational or cultural institutions and for work done through independent study? The principal, after consulting with relevant faculty, can award transfer credit for work done at other educational and cultural institutions and for work done through independent study. The decision should be based on whether the student’s record indicates that the work is consistent with New York State commencement level learning standards and is of comparable scope and quality to that which would have been completed in the school awarding the credit.

6. Must transfer students meet all the unit of credit requirements for a diploma? Yes, transfer students must meet all unit of credit requirements to receive a New York State high school diploma. Principals, while they have considerable discretion in reviewing a student's record, cannot waive any units of credit requirements for a diploma, including those for physical education, the arts and languages other than English (LOTE). A student who transfers in grade 8 and thereafter can fulfill the LOTE requirement by passing a Level One/Checkpoint A course in LOTE and/or passing the Second Language Proficiency (SLP) examination."

Don't worry too much about Regent's Exams; there are other exams that can be substituted.

"10. What are the assessment requirements for a transfer student who enters grade 11 in a New York State school for the first time and who wishes to receive a Regents or local diploma? To receive a Regents or local diploma, the grade 11 student must pass the Regents Comprehensive Examination in English, a Regents examination in mathematics, a Regents examination in U.S. History and Government, and a Regents examination in science or Department-approved alternatives. The principal may exempt the student from the requirement to pass a Regents Examination in Global History and Geography.

11. What are the assessment requirements for a transfer student who enters grade 11 in a New York State school for the first time and who wishes to receive a Regents diploma with advanced designation? To receive a Regents diploma with advanced designation, the grade 11 student must pass the Regents Comprehensive Examination in English, two (or three) Regents examinations in mathematics*, a Regents examination in U.S. History and Government, two Regents examinations in science (one in a life science and one in a physical science), and a Regents examination in LOTE** or Department-approved alternatives. The principal may exempt the student from the requirement to pass a Regents examination in Global History and Geography

**Some alternatives exist. See #17.

18. May Department-Approved Alternative Examinations be used in place of Regents examinations when reviewing a transfer student’s record? Yes. A current list of all Department-Approved Alternative Examinations Acceptable for Meeting Requirements for a Local or Regents Diploma is available on the Office of State Assessment website.

Thank you! This was the information I was looking for but could not find!

Jennifer

If it's the Westfield school in Chautauqua County, that's about as far as one can get from NYC and still be in NY state! lol We live in the same county but I don't know any homeschoolers in that district to ask how easy or hard the district is to work with. If that is the school that you're talking about, Jennifer, I can ask on our local homeschooling group's FB page and see if anyone there knows.

Yep, Chautauqua County. My parents grew up in Westfield, and my dad retired there after 20 years in the Air Force. I was there for the last two years of high school. It's one of those towns kids can't wait to leave, but want to come back to when they have kids of their own!

We've already bought a house in Westfield, so we are definitely moving there in 2015. I hope my kids want to homeschool through highschool, but the school is such a central part of the community they may want to attend.

If you could ask your group that would be great. Could you pm me the name of the group so I could find them on facebook? We are going to be there 10 weeks this summer and next and would love to meet other local homeschoolers.

Jennifer