Science: Astronomy (Intelligo unit study) and earth science ala WTM

History: SOTW2, SOWC3

Latin: GSWL

Spanish: Speedy Spanish

Music: Instrument and composer studies

Art: various projects based on history lessons

Logic: Building Thinking Skills 2

Typing: Typing Instructor

I also have an upcoming 6th grader and I think your plan looks just right. I tend to plan too much! I was thinking of supplementing math with Life of Fred. What level are you using? Also, have you used Speedy Spanish before? We already do Latin and are planning on Second Form Latin this year but I would also like my daughter to learn Spanish (we meet a lot of people that Spanish is their first language) and I have not decided on a Spanish program. DD does not want to learn Spanish because she doesn't want a lot of workbook work so I would like to find a program that is more verbal for her.

Looks good. I have a 6th grader this next year. This is what I am looking at, if you would like to compare.

Math: Math Mammoth 6 with Life of Fred

LA: Growing With Grammar 6

Vocab: Vocab from Classical Roots 6

Spelling: Sequential Spelling 2

History/Lit/Fine Arts/Writing/Geography: Tapestry of Grace w/ Writing Aids

Science: Various lapbooks & individual units: General Science

Latin: Lively Latin

still considering Logic resources

Math: CLE 600, supplement with Life of Fred

LA: LLATL Tan

Vocab: Vocabulary Cartoons

Spelling: Spelling Power

Writing: IEW

I also have an upcoming 6th grader and I think your plan looks just right. I tend to plan too much! I was thinking of supplementing math with Life of Fred. What level are you using? Also, have you used Speedy Spanish before? We already do Latin and are planning on Second Form Latin this year but I would also like my daughter to learn Spanish (we meet a lot of people that Spanish is their first language) and I have not decided on a Spanish program. DD does not want to learn Spanish because she doesn't want a lot of workbook work so I would like to find a program that is more verbal for her.

Re: LoF, we will start off next year with Elementary Physics (did Fractions and Decimals and Percents this year) and probably work through Pre-Algebra.

Re: Speedy Spanish, DH is in charge of teaching Spanish. He bought the program to start with the kids this year and as of yet it hasn't made it out of the box. So the short answer is.... No, we haven't used it. :closedeyes:

Looks good. I have a 6th grader this next year. This is what I am looking at, if you would like to compare.

I went back to TWTM for my logic pick. There are just too many choices so I decided to let SWB pick for me.

Re: LoF, we will start off next year with Elementary Physics (did Fractions and Decimals and Percents this year) and probably work through Pre-Algebra.

Re: Speedy Spanish, DH is in charge of teaching Spanish. He bought the program to start with the kids this year and as of yet it hasn't made it out of the box. So the short answer is.... No, we haven't used it. :closedeyes:

I went back to TWTM for my logic pick. There are just too many choices so I decided to let SWB pick for me.

Since we are just starting on Life with Fred I was thinking of starting with Fractions. I looked at Speedy Spanish online and it may work for us. I understand purchasing curriculum and never getting around to using it. I have a few items that I purchased for my first two students that are just now getting used for the baby sister!

Math: CLE 600, supplement with Life of Fred

LA: LLATL Tan

Vocab: Vocabulary Cartoons

Spelling: Spelling Power

Writing: IEW

Well, LLATL is supposed to be a comprehensive language arts course, but you've doubled up with vocabulary, spelling, and writing.

It looks good. IRL, I found we couldn't do both Spanish and Latin, so we bailed on Latin.

I also don't get to artist/composer studies near as much as I mean to - we did them pretty consistently for a few months and then it sort of fizzled. For 6th grade I'm planning to do a couple of units focusing on artistic movements relevant to a particular place in time (i.e. modernism, post-modernism) and trying to cover art, music, and major literary moves during those units, rather than trying to do it catch-as-catch can. Because usually, I don't catch :glare:

What about geography? does that fold into history? That's another thing I sometimes "forget" to include, so I had dd go through and learn all the countries this year, using online programs like Sheppard and Seterra. It's been great, she's a much more intelligent consumer of her history lessons now, not to mention current events. I'm going to have her go back through next year and learn key cities & major landforms.

Well, LLATL is supposed to be a comprehensive language arts course, but you've doubled up with vocabulary, spelling, and writing.

I know. DS hates LA. Hates it. So when we've tried more rigorous programs he has fallen flat, cried, argued, etc. He doesn't fight LLATL and it gets done but it feels light so we add the others in to make up for LLATL's shortcomings. It's not ideal, but it has worked.

It looks good. IRL, I found we couldn't do both Spanish and Latin, so we bailed on Latin.

I also don't get to artist/composer studies near as much as I mean to - we did them pretty consistently for a few months and then it sort of fizzled. For 6th grade I'm planning to do a couple of units focusing on artistic movements relevant to a particular place in time (i.e. modernism, post-modernism) and trying to cover art, music, and major literary moves during those units, rather than trying to do it catch-as-catch can. Because usually, I don't catch :glare:

What about geography? does that fold into history? That's another thing I sometimes "forget" to include, so I had dd go through and learn all the countries this year, using online programs like Sheppard and Seterra. It's been great, she's a much more intelligent consumer of her history lessons now, not to mention current events. I'm going to have her go back through next year and learn key cities & major landforms.

I have wondered if he will handle Spanish AND Latin. I plan to do Latin and DH plans to teach Spanish so we shall see if it works.

Art and music are two areas where we tend to slack off. Still, I'm hoping by having the small bits of information from The Stories of the Great Composers that we may actually get through at least that much next year

We have done separate Geography in the past and we have also folded it in with history. I like your idea about learning the countries/cities/landforms.

I know. DS hates LA. Hates it. So when we've tried more rigorous programs he has fallen flat, cried, argued, etc. He doesn't fight LLATL and it gets done but it feels light so we add the others in to make up for LLATL's shortcomings. It's not ideal, but it has worked.

It looks light to me, too, but long-time users report that in the end, it did an excellent job of teaching their children to read and write well.

If your ds doesn't fight LLATL, honestly, I'd use it exclusively. There's only so much time in your day, KWIM? :-)

You did ask what we thought. :-)

DS19 was the student I had that hated language arts. It took until high school for me to find a program that he didn't fight. If you have a language arts program that your son enjoys I would use that and don't worry about the extras. He will learn more if he enjoys the program (and you have too much to do in your day to argue over one subject).