Menu

WRTR Questions

kristi26

My used 4th edition copy of Writing Road to Reading came in the mail yesterday afternoon! I've been reading through it and I think I get the general idea of the program so far (still have a lot to go though). Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to buy the phonograms cards? Would it be cheaper for me to make them from the book or just buy a set?

2. How important is the phonograms sounds CD? My copy actually came with a real RECORD. And it looks like it'd still work IF I had a record player. :lol:

Thanks!

My used 4th edition copy of Writing Road to Reading came in the mail yesterday afternoon! I've been reading through it and I think I get the general idea of the program so far (still have a lot to go though). Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to buy the phonograms cards? Would it be cheaper for me to make them from the book or just buy a set?

2. How important is the phonograms sounds CD? My copy actually came with a real RECORD. And it looks like it'd still work IF I had a record player. :lol:

Thanks!

You can make the phonogram cards from the book. If you can laminate them, that would be best. OTOH, they're not that expensive to buy; just make sure you buy them from Spalding Education International, because i don't think any suppliers sell the Spalding phonogram cards, and phonograms from other sources are slightly different.

You don't need the phonogram sounds CD, unless you have a very strong accept (New England, for example, or one of the many Southern dialects) and you need to make adjustments. :-)

Also remember that Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual. :-)

We just used the free phongram cards found online (I can't get the link to work but just search free phonogram cards and the blog is called " learning caring sharing"). I have never needed a CD since they usually give cue words for sounds that may not be familiar.

The current Spalding 5th and 6th flashcards are slightly different that the 4th edition. I just cut out the 4th edition paper cards and use them all floppy. It hasn't been a problem. One day I'll copy them onto index cards, or modify a 5th/6th set, but I'm not too worried about it. http://www.adoremusbooks.com sells some Spalding items with cheaper shipping.

There are online videos of the phonograms. I use those, instead of the record.

The important thing is to START. Make your OWN student notebook, and I recommend doing it TWICE. Don't worry so much about doing it "right" the first time, just DO It. Knowing you are going to do it again takes the pressure off.

Also once you have done your own 4th notebook, you might decide to THEN switch the 5th or 6th edition list and flashcards. But for NOW, I recommend cutting out those free babies included in your book, and STARTING right NOW.

I was SO proud of myself when I finished my second 4th edition notebook. :lol: And my new improved manuscript handwriting and spelling skills made me very confident about making my own handwritten homemade worksheets and flashcards for students.

I just copied them onto index cards by hand. I didn't want to mess up the book by cutting them out.

I worried about messing my book up too, and then laughed at myself, and just cut them out. It was one of the best decision I ever made.

I just copied them onto index cards by hand. I didn't want to mess up the book by cutting them out.

I'm thinking I may print them out on card stock and then print the "back" of the cards on regular paper, glue them to the right card, and get them laminated in the future. I don't really want to cut up my book. I didn't pay much for it but I DID pay for it! :lol:

Ah, but see, sometimes messing up the book is important. :-)

I take all my manuals to Kinko's/FedEx to have the spine cut off, and the book drilled for three holes. The fourth edition goes into one three-ring notebook; fifth and sixth editions would go in two (one for each part). The manual is much easier to use this way, and the cover won't wear out. You can also add your own hand-written notes (if you have any), and put a ruler-bookmark where you stopped with the spelling list.

There is something bugging me about this manual: her insistance that Y at the end of a word doesn't say ee, it says the short i. That is making me crazy.

Older dictionaries used i and newer dictionaries use ee. Most people make the sound half way between an i and an ee, but because they are now taught that they are saying the ee sound, they stress the ee sound when THINKING about it, more than in normal speech. Check out the McGuffey's readers and you will see they use i.

Believe me I have waffled all over the place and tried most of the Spalding clones--those that use i and those that use ee.

Just for NOW, do your own notebook. Don't judge or panic or tweak or worry about anything. Just make your notebook that way Mrs. Spalding tells you to. AFTER you are done, you can always switch to another program, and by having completed the 4th, you will be 9/10 of the way there for teaching ANY Spalding clone.

WRTR 4th was the easiest one for me to FINALLY make my own notebook and master the method. I decided I was only worthy of an opinion AFTER I FINISHED it. In every way, don't get distracted over ANY details. PUSH through. That is why I recommend cutting out the cards. There are so many ways to get derailed and NOT make your notebook.

The price of the book is NOT worth the slow down in getting started. Put on your blinders and START. Cut those babies out. Don't stop to photocopy, laminate or copy. CUT and GO.

One of the reasons I'm so gung-ho on the 4th is that those paper flashcards are right THERE ready to GO.

There is something bugging me about this manual: her insistance that Y at the end of a word doesn't say ee, it says the short i. That is making me crazy.

Well...um...get over it. :D

Mrs. Spalding is right. And it is important to understand that we do NOT spell words based on how we pronounce them; with 100s of identifiable dialects in the U.S., if we based spelling on pronunciation, we'd never be able to read each other's writing, lol.

Check out the FAQs on Spaldng's site. Notice in particular this Q&A:

Q. Why are baby and other words pronounced with the first (short) sound of i when most people say the second (long) sound of e?

A. The Spalding Method teaches children to analyze the written spelling of words. Spelling has remained relatively constant over the years while pronunciations vary among geographical regions and countries. In the English spelling system y and i are used interchangeably, but y and e are not. For example, in the words gym, rhythm, system, we use y to represent the first sound of i.

When teaching children to spell, pronouncing the word ba by (short i), helps them to write y, not e. Note that the accent is on the first syllable. When reading the word for speaking, you have a choice: have children pronounce the word as spoken in your region or maintain the original pronunciation which is consistent with the spelling. Children have no problem with the difference. They understand that pronouncing words two ways helps them spell and read.

Children have no problem with the difference.

Well, some children do have a problem with it. But, they usually get over it if we don't make it a big stumbling block and if we explain what Mrs. Spalding explained in Elle's post.

My kids are all told the official explanation. So far, two of the three who have learned it this way have admitted to me later that it doesn't make sense to them & they only remember to put 'y' because one of their siblings has that /EE/ sound on the end of her name and it ends in 'y'. :patriot:

I'm with Hunter on this one - don't let the 'little things' (like 'y' saying /i/) bother you. There is bound to be at least one more roadblock in your own mind. Push through! You'll be amazed at how much the English language makes more sense to you when you are done and how much easier the kids understand this stuff than you do.

:thumbup1:

I started my notebook and kept it the way she says to do it (even though inside I don't agree with the y issue :leaving: ). I'll keep going and hopefully be in love by the end. I WANT to like this method! I think it would be good for DD if I can like it and learn it!