Menu

Good Books for Scratch Programming?

I bought a couple books for my ds10s last Christmas. They haven't used them at all, so I can't comment on quality. One of them now has very extensive experience with Scratch - he taught himself with youtube videos, the same way he taught himself Minecraft. Sorry!

The problem is that I think they just updated Scratch, and the book we JUST bought does not seem to completely work...If anyone has any guides to the *new* scratch i would so love to hear about them!

My kids just tried Scratch 2.0 and the website crashed after an hour. I'm waiting for the download version. There are some new features. My kids are just testing those themselves by trial and error.

You can download the old Scratch 1.4 and use that with the book you bought.

Super Scratch Prpgramming Adventure! was recommended by dbmamaz and it is a nice starter book. Your library might have copies. Barnes & Noble has the book too if you want to take a look. The book website has a sample chapter.

http://nostarch.com/scratch

My son is using this book and learning a ton. He loves making the games and is not starting to venture into his own games. It has been a great starter book for him.

It will be a while before any updated books hit the market. I would download the older version of Scratch, and use the fabulous Super Scratch Programming Adventure. You can easily use the book with the new version too. As far as I can tell they haven't taken anything out that would affect the use of the book. Instead they have added a few functions including user name, video, and cloning. Here is our review of the book.

Super Scratch Prpgramming Adventure! was recommended by dbmamaz and it is a nice starter book. Your library might have copies. Barnes & Noble has the book too if you want to take a look. The book website has a sample chapter.

http://nostarch.com/scratch

The old thread http://forums.welltr...ch-programming/

We used this book this past semester, it made it a great deal of fun.

Thanks everyone. I found that book on Amazon today and added it to my wish list. I was hoping there might be additional books.

We also have Scratch Programming for Teens. We don't like it nearly as much as Super Scratch. Though it says teens in the title, the content is very similar to Super Scratch, but it drags on..and on...

Haha someone mentioned me! My younger has been going through Super Scratch Programming adventure really slowly. Not sure when the program updated? My teen used the 'for teen' book, it was dry, but easy. My 9 yo has not been doing much independently, but he SEEMS to be able to do this one independently.

They have good documentation on their website. So, if you have time, I recommend that you help your child initially by going through the video tutorials on their website - until the book is updated and matches the newly released version. There are several tutorial type help items available at http://scratch.mit.edu/help/ and it is very easy for a parent or a mentor to use those to teach a young child how to use scratch.

An FYI,

I got an email this morning from the publishers of Super Scratch, offering me a replacement book for my own. I had blogged that we loved the book, but our copy lost it's binding very quickly. I asked for the book as a give away instead, as my copy is usable, and we are nearly finished with it anyway. So my point, anyone who is looking at purchasing the book, maybe wait a day or two, and I will have a giveaway up over the next couple of days. You might get the book for free!!