Menu

US History for 8th gr: Want Hakim-style, but higher reading level

I have used Hakim's History of US before, but feel it is best used for 5th-7th grade. For 8th graders, her tone begins to sound like she is 'talking down' to them. I hate that, because she is the only engaging US History text I have found. :) Hoping someone in the WTM community has found something equally interesting in style and content, but for the older student.

As soon as I can, I will write my own US History text :D

Thank you for any ideas.

I agree, K12's American Odyssey book could work well for an 8th grader. It is a high school (targeted at 9th graders?) level text.

K12 also publishes a new concise version (4 volumes) of History of US, but that is targeted at 5th and 6th graders. Although probably too young for OP's needs, I much preferred the editing and tone of the concise version over the original Hakim.

We'll be using American Odyssey next year. It is similar in style to the three Human Odyssey texts we've been using, which dd likes. There are no distracting sidebars with blocks of color all over the pages, just drawings, photos, and maps. Primary source selections have their own pages.

We actually use K-12's History Odyssey for 6th and 7th. We have been able to find those used. Since I am selecting texts for an entire group of parents, I am unwilling to select a text that will cost them in the neighborhood of $100. (They also need to buy math, science, and writing texts, and readers!) THAT is what holds me back from the K-12 text. I'm off to search, again, for a source for 15-20 copies of this text at half-price. If I am successful, then I can give serious consideration to this text. It may be a matter of monitoring prices all summer . . . :)

Thank you for your input.

We actually use K-12's History Odyssey for 6th and 7th. We have been able to find those used. Since I am selecting texts for an entire group of parents, I am unwilling to select a text that will cost them in the neighborhood of $100. (They also need to buy math, science, and writing texts, and readers!) THAT is what holds me back from the K-12 text. I'm off to search, again, for a source for 15-20 copies of this text at half-price. If I am successful, then I can give serious consideration to this text. It may be a matter of monitoring prices all summer . . . :)

Thank you for your input.

In the bolded above, you meant K12 Human Odyssey, right? There is a different program published by Pandia Press called History Odyssey. Just wanted to clarify for any future readers. :)

I've been following suggestions from the author of Lies My Teacher Told Me, from his other book discussion in this thread. He suggests an inexpensive basic book, and then doing research using primary sources and so on (much is now available online free) into a few areas. The text that seems best to me of several I have now tried is Paul S. Boyer's American History: A Very Short Introduction. pub by Oxford University Press, less than $10 when I bought it new recently.

Oops, Taryn, yes - I meant K-12's Human Odyssey.

I, too, have read Loewen's "Lies" and have a similar philosophy - use a basic text, and add to it with primary sources, research, readers. Will check out the other suggestions - thank you! (As for that $10 American Odyssey price . . . whoa. I'm envious! No such experience here!)

I also got K12 American Odyssey for about 10$ used of Amazon.

You might check out the text books suggested in TWTM for American History at the high school level. I know they are in there, and they would be perfectly find for 8th graders. Used high school text books are pretty easy to come by on Amazon. If you can find a teacher's edition, all the better. I like their discussion questions, lol.