Menu

Question About Not for Sale Textbooks

eaglei

What do you DO with them??? Dh has several VERY nice college level textbooks that have Not for Resale on the covers. Short of donating them to the thrift store, is there anything else you can do with them? Is there any place that buys these? Dumb question, I know . . . but I simply have to ask before we donate them. They don't really sell at the thrift store so they will eventually end up recycling them. The library doesn't accept textbooks for their sales for the same reason - textbooks don't sell. Someone mentioned an online site that buys these, but I haven't been able to locate any such site. Any ideas? Thanks!

If it says "Not for Resale," I can't imagine there would be any place that would legally buy and resell them. Perhaps posting them free for postage would find them new homes.

There's no legal issue. The books were given to certain people as gifts and the recipients have the right to sell them if they choose since the books belong to them. Simply because they've been marked as, "not for resale," does not mean there's any legal weight.

I'd even say there's no ethical issue either since these books are often unsolicited and there's no agreement between the parties about the ,"not for resale," bit.

The only case I know of where resellng is clearly illeagal is when a paperback has been reported as destroyed by a store (they'll tear off the covers and send them back to the publisher for credit) but the store is selling those books and pocketing the publisher's profit. If you see coverless.paperbacks for sale, that's what's going on. But that's a whole different issue.

I agree with selling them free for postage. I have a few of those as well. I also have purchased at least one used textbook from amazon third party and received a "not for resale" copy. In this case it was printed on the inside covers, and I paid .01 for it, so I didn't make it an issue.

I have sold them on eBay. I currently have an online code for MathLab that came with my Algebra textbook. My teacher is not using this online component and I am planning on putting it on eBay even though it says Not for Resale on it. I checked it out and I see others selling the same thing on eBay. Same with international books.