Menu

Captain Morgan's Spiced rum is giving me intestinal upsets (GF info)

Holly IN

It is causing me severe abdominal pain and gas pains. I checked online and it is supposed to be gluten free. I know it is not yeast free. Could this issue be caused by yeast? I had a small glass yesterday and today. Both times right afterwards I get this severe abdominal pain and gas. (talk about farting up a storm but much worse than that) Could a yeast allergy cause this same symptom as gluten allergy or intolerance? Thanks!

Tequila gives me horrible nightmares. I had one a month ago and never again will I drink that. It is so creepy that I thought I was awake outside of the dream with it happening to me. Rum is my favorite and I rarely have it. Just this weekend and the last time I had one was at a wedding back in September of 2012.

The alcohol content (and therefore sugar content) in rum is much higher than in wine. Rum has about 35% alcohol by volume, whereas wine has around 12% on average. So that might explain why you have these symptoms when drinking rum, but not when drinking wine.

I am doing more research on this. I really can't find if it is a grain based or not. I know certain grains cause me to have intestinal upsets especially corn. It is considered grain free as it is processed by molasses most of the time. So it could be the yeast or just the high sugar alcohol. Thanks guys for your help.