Menu

Looking for online composition or English course

Hi, I am asking once again for the wisdom of those who have gone before me.

My daughter needs and wants an online writing course for 9th grade. She knows basic paragraphs but has not really done essay writing yet. ?She is a bit behind and we may do a 5 year plan with her because of it. ?Regardless, I think she could handle an Intro course to either composition or a lit./composition course. Cost is not a big factor.

She has suggested Brave Writer but I don't know about the quality of their courses.

Any suggestions?

pam

Have you looked at Write at Home? My kids have taken several of their courses & essay workshops and I recommend them, *especially* for struggling/inexperienced writers.

If I remember correctly, the year-long composition course 'meets them where they are' with regard to their writing ability. The writing instructors just took their papers and critiqued them 'as is' and gave suggestions for improvement. As the year went on, the writing ability of my kids just took off. One of my kids took their year-long 9th grade course (which I think is called "Composition 1" or something like that), then in 10th grade, took the two essay workshops along with a separate writing & literature course (offered by another online provider). Those essay worksops (6 weeks each) did an incredible job of teaching my non-writer how to write a strong thesis and essay.

It has been several years since my kids took the courses & workshops, so if this is of interest to you, I would write them an e-mail to confirm that this is still how they operate. Also, when my kids were in the classes, there was a period of time in which you could withdraw and receive a full refund if you find the class doesn't meet your expectations.... That info is on their website under "FAQ". http://www.writeathome.com/

I have heard about Brave Writer, but I have no first-hand experience with them, so I can't help there.

I'm sure others will chime in... there seems to be a good number of options out there! :001_smile:

We used Laurel Tree Tutorials for 10th grade HS Composition. You may read my review here.

Given her age and her lack of writing essays, you might consider the Introduction to Composition class from Laurel Tree this year and then do the High School Comp class next year or even junior year.

My rising 9th grader has just completed 6 months of the Boomerang Book Club and also KidsWrite Intermediate. She really enjoyed the Book Club, enjoyed interacting with the other members, had a good introduction to analyzing literature in writing and was exposed to a wide range of classics and current literatue.

KidsWrite Intermediate is the first in BraveWriter's High School program. It takes the elementary and middle school skills to the next level. They work on developing their own voice, are introduced to a variety of methods of developing a topic, and potential components of an essay. The criticism was positive and gentle which important for my daughter. In addition the instructor was available via text and e-mail which allowed my daughter to start to learn how to develop a student-instructor relationship.

It is our plan to have her continue with the Book Club next year and take Expository Essays.

I would, however, recommend that you familiarize yourself with BraveWriter's philosophy. It is not formulaic and there is great emphasis in developing the writer.

My rising 9th grader has just completed 6 months of the Boomerang Book Club and also KidsWrite Intermediate. She really enjoyed the Book Club, enjoyed interacting with the other members, had a good introduction to analyzing literature in writing and was exposed to a wide range of classics and current literatue.

KidsWrite Intermediate is the first in BraveWriter's High School program. It takes the elementary and middle school skills to the next level. They work on developing their own voice, are introduced to a variety of methods of developing a topic, and potential components of an essay. The criticism was positive and gentle which important for my daughter. In addition the instructor was available via text and e-mail which allowed my daughter to start to learn how to develop a student-instructor relationship.

It is our plan to have her continue with the Book Club next year and take Expository Essays.

:thumbup1:

I would, however, recommend that you familiarize yourself with BraveWriter's philosophy. It is not formulaic and there is great emphasis in developing the writer.

My 14 yo ds took KidsWrite Intermediate, Highschool writing projects and is now in the Expository Essay class. I love BraveWriter! It's gentle, encouraging, positive and just what my ds needed.

Another vote for Laurel Tree Tutorials. My ds had a very positive experience in High School Composition this year. And he went into the class as a reluctant writer who really had not done much writing. He improved tremendously over the course of the year. Your daughter may be fine in the high school class, but Rebekah Randolph, the owner and instructor, would be the best one to advise you.

We also used Laurel Tree's High School Composition and I do recommend it once your dd has a bit more writing under her belt. I would ask Rebekah about her intro to comp class if that interests you; I forgot she offered that. She is a great instructor.