Menu

middle ages "curriculum" that includes biblical events

pjssully

I am starting to plan for next year and I was really wanting to start next year with my 6th grade twins using the methods of The Well trained mind book. I have always had a curriculum to follow so i wanted to do something different next year. BUT, i realized that doing history ala TWTM we would miss the integration of biblical events, which are important to me. And I guess not just events in the bible but the people as well. So.......just anyone have ideas of a program that incorporates TWTM objectives along with biblie? or ideas of how to incorporate bible with TWTM?

pam

If you are talking Middle Ages then Biblical history would be over (assuming you mean Middle Ages to be about 500ad). If you mean church history I am working on putting a schedule together to include the 100 Most Important Events in Church History along with SOTW2.

I haven't used this level yet, but we are really enjoying SCM's guides. It has quite a bit of church history as well as covering the Epistles. http://simplycharlottemason.com/store/middle-ages-renaissance-reformation-epistles/

This shows which books are scheduled for each age group: http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/scmguide/history-modules-overview/history-module-4/

We'll be using Mystery of History Vol 2: The Early Church and Middle Ages (http://www.themysteryofhistory.info/volumeII.shtml). Lots of church/Bible history, starting with Pentacost, Paul's missionary journies, Christian martyrs, etc. and moving on to some of the saints and missionaries (Augustine, Valentine, John Wycliffe, William Tyndale, etc.). We're very excited about it!

Here's a neat little book we used this year as we studied Fall of Rome to 1800: Christian History Made Easy by Timothy Paul Jones; published by Rose Publishing.

Just enough info to tie our history readings together. Oftentimes we discussed or researched topics of interest further.

Smiles,

Teresa

Mystery of history volume 2 goes from the resurrection (aka early church including acts and epistles) and through Middle Ages and to reformation. Im excited about this time period! I also have Trial and Triumph and How the Bible Came to Us. All can be found at Christian book deluxe.

Oh and homeschool in the woods Middle Ages for fun hands on

If you are talking Middle Ages then Biblical history would be over (assuming you mean Middle Ages to be about 500ad). If you mean church history I am working on putting a schedule together to include the 100 Most Important Events in Church History along with SOTW2.

Erin,

This sounds interesting. :) How are you doing this? I am interested in doing the same.

I love MOH but think volume 2 is too much for my middlers. I do have a schedule correlating SOTW 2 with this church history series here http://www.christianbook.com/history-lives-box-mindy-withrow/9781845508142/pd/508142?item_code=WW&netp_id=979733&event=ESRCN&view=details but I am interested in what you are doing also.

We absolutely LOVED My Father's World Rome to Reformation. Marie does an outstanding job weaving biblical and church history in with Ancient Rome, the Middle Ages, the Reformation and Renaissance eras, and showing the "flow" from the OT prophecies of Crhist, the founding of Rome, the power of Rome during the time of Christ, the fall of Rome, the growth of the Church, and the ensuing Middle (Dark) Ages... and then all the reformation and church growth events after that. http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/40/20/0/1

The science included in MFW RTR is the Human Body and Astronomy, since many great discoveries were made in both of those areas during the time period.

Erin,

This sounds interesting. :) How are you doing this? I am interested in doing the same.

I love MOH but think volume 2 is too much for my middlers. I do have a schedule correlating SOTW 2 with this church history series here http://www.christianbook.com/history-lives-box-mindy-withrow/9781845508142/pd/508142?item_code=WW&netp_id=979733&event=ESRCN&view=details but I am interested in what you are doing also.

We are using MOH right now (volume 1) and as much as I wanted it to work it is just too much for dd7 (she is just reading through SOTW) and ds9 doesn't like to read it on his own. So we move on:)

Here is my plan for history. Sometimes when I am putting it together I find something isn't going to work or something else will work better but this is my tentative plan. Instead of doing one chapter of SOTW a week we are going to do one section a day for three days a week. So some weeks we will get through more than one chapter. So in the time we save doing it that way I am going to add in events from 100 Most Important Church Events. I am hoping to put them together in the most logical matter but it is going to be a bit tricky since SOTW lumps things together by civilization and 100 Events is strictly chronological. But I am up to the challenge:)

I have found through our science curriculum that my kids learn best when we do something together to learn about the main topic (reading SOTW/ 100 Events) and then I break them up into their appropriate reading levels to read more about it (ds9 will be reading from Kingfisher Illustrated History and dd7 will be reading Usborne Medieval History). My plan is for each of them to have one history book to read on their own each week (similar to the type of books used in CHOLL- which I would just use but the library has very few of the books used). I will also schedule a family read aloud using All Through the Ages as a guide. Since we have the Yesterday's Classics collection I will probably add in those here and there too.

We will probably do a timeline from free clip art on the Internet. I am not sure yet about doing notebooking pages like I did with ancients but I want something hands on for them to do.

It will probably be at least a few weeks before I get this done but I will definitely let everyone know when it is complete:)