Menu

FYI: Reading Eggs

Just an FYI, when you buy from Reading Eggs, they process your transaction through Australia instead of their New York offices. This can incur foreign transaction fees on your credit card from your bank or credit union.

Since the conversation I just had with their customer service rep let me to believe they absolutely disagree with needing to inform anyone, I thought I'd take it upon myself to let everyone know that I could so no one else is surprised!

Unless ya know, you're in Australia. :tonguesmile:

I wonder if that's also the case if you order through HSBC? Will the charge originate from HSBC or Reading Eggs? Not sure how it works.

Reading Eggs does not have a great reputation as far as customer service goes.

I have never been charged extra fees for any foreign purchase. Is it common? I would imagine it is the responsibility of the bank to let you know about such fees when they issue your card. We used Reading Eggs a few years ago, and I do recall them showing the currency conversion during the transaction, which seems like plenty of notice that it is an international purchase.

Thank you for sharing. I always thought it's UK based cause we've been trying the UK website lessons. I did saw something about Australia on Facebook but thought they have different offices thus different customer care and payment options.

Andrea

I have never been charged extra fees for any foreign purchase. Is it common? I would imagine it is the responsibility of the bank to let you know about such fees when they issue your card. We used Reading Eggs a few years ago, and I do recall them showing the currency conversion during the transaction, which seems like plenty of notice that it is an international purchase.

My bank does let me know about foreign transaction fees. However, when I called the US-based 800 number to activate my subscription, there was nothing said over the phone or on the website that would suggest they were not a NY based business.

Many years ago, they may have been more upfront, but that was not the case this year.

Unless ya know, you're in Australia. :tonguesmile:

I wonder if that's also the case if you order through HSBC? Will the charge originate from HSBC or Reading Eggs? Not sure how it works.

I ordered through HSBC and I didn't have to pay the fee (the charge was through HSBC).

Some credit cards charge a fee, usually around 3-5%, and some don't. That should be something you can find out from the credit card company.

However, if one gets the impression that it's an American company, everything is in US$, and so forth, I can see that it might be an unpleasant surprise to have an international fee tacked on.