Menu

"other" language arts skills?

MeganW

We have finished a reading program similar to OPGTR, we are using AAS (spelling), FLL (grammar), HWOT (handwriting) and will start WWE (writing) in the fall.

Does this completely cover language arts? What about things like using a dictionary? Defining words like "caption"? Will that be covered? Obviously I can add those two things, but what else is out there that I don't know about?

This is my biggest fear about not using a boxed program - that I will totally miss something vital and the world as we know it will end. :)

I used to have the same fears. As DS got a bit older, skills like dictionary use were naturally included in his grammar curriculum (Hake), and you will gradually replace spelling curriculum with vocabulary, so word definitions will be taken care of. Your first graders are very young still. Worry not!

So you have grammar, spelling, penmanship and composition covered? You still need literature. Read high quality children's books to them and discuss the material with them. Have them read high quality children's literature on their own skill level and tell you what they read.

If you stick with FLL dictionary skills start in level 3. The word caption comes up so often in real life I never had to teach kids that one, but somewhere along the road a writing curriculum, history assignment or science project will teach it.

The world won't end if they don't know how to use a dictionary in second grade, or if they don't know what the word caption means. If they skip something absolutely vital it will become apparent. When that happens you can say, "Dictionaries are lists full of words in alphabetical order, and it tells you what each word means." Or, "That little bit of information under the president's picture in the newspaper is called a caption. Make one for your sphinx drawing."

I find that most things I'm forgetting get covered in the grammar program I'm using. :) We used FLL, and yes, it covers dictionary skills at an age appropriate time. Oral usage is also covered (the stuff I often forget, like "raise" vs. "rise", things like that). I'm using R&S English now, but it also covers all that stuff, plus things like how to make a telephone call. :lol:

I think you're ok. If it's truly important, it will come up at some point.

In the EARLY elementary grades (1-3), I always thought of Language Arts as being comprised of:

- Reading (learning to read, then, fluency)

- Handwriting (copywork, penmanship, eventually cursive)

- Writing (very basic, early writing words and a few sentences; narration to parent, then copywork)

- Phonics (to assist reading and spelling)

- Spelling

- Grammar (very basic)

- Vocabulary

Some spelling programs -- sometimes even grammar programs -- include some of these "oddball" (lol) skills, such as contractions, titles (like, Mr., Mrs. Dr., etc.), or alphabetizing. In case the program you're using does not, for grades 3-5, I found Mary Pecci's workbook, Word Skills, to be very helpful for covering things like syllabication, alphabetizing, contractions, suffixes/prefixes, compound words, etc. $20 for the 200+ page workbook. Also, you can do a google look for worksheets, online games, or practice for each specific skill.

And to help alleviate fears of "forgetting" something, I found these World Book Encyclopedia "typical course of study" lists for each grade level to be helpful; while we didn't always match up with the grade listed, or even do ALL the things in the lists (remember, these lists are for teachers for "meeting standards"), it was nice to have the lists to refer to so I didn't feel I had left a major "gap" somewhere.

Warmest regards, Lori D.

literature (mentioned) and poetry. Everything else is covered in my grammar program or spelling program or latin program. Poetry instruction is included in my grammar and a bit of poetry, but since I don't use a "reading" program I do have to put together my own lit program in elem. and read and memorize poetry. I like the What Your X Grader Needs to Know books for poetry. They are nice to pull down and read from or to assign the kids to choose one for memorizing or copying once in awhile.

We have finished a reading program similar to OPGTR, we are using AAS (spelling), FLL (grammar), HWOT (handwriting) and will start WWE (writing) in the fall.

Does this completely cover language arts? What about things like using a dictionary? Defining words like "caption"? Will that be covered? Obviously I can add those two things, but what else is out there that I don't know about?

This is my biggest fear about not using a boxed program - that I will totally miss something vital and the world as we know it will end. :)

Dictionary usage is part of spelling. Some methods such as Spalding and its spin-offs (AAS is a spin-off) don't automatically include it. R&S's Spelling by Sound and Structure does. Definitions of words like "caption" could be either part of spelling, or it could be vocabulary.

R&S's English series covers the use of resources such as dictionaries and thesauruses.

A complete "language arts" (I really hate that term, lol) course for elementary-age children would be phonics (if necessary), reading, spelling/vocabulary, penmanship, grammar, and composition. Some schools do spelling and vocabulary longer than that. For children 12ish and over, it would be reading/literature, maybe vocabulary (not usually a separate "subject"), grammar and composition.

I've found that working through a "test prep" workbook for 2-3 months in the spring to be an excellent way to get all those extra bases covered. Not a full curriculum, but it shows me that, "Oh, I've never used the term antonym with them," etc.