Menu

If we use WWE1 as a Literature list for 1st grade....

I was thinking that it might be fun to make our way through the books in WWE1 as we go through the exercises this fall (1 book per week). I'd be doing the reading, or using audiobooks. I have a bunch of Audible credits and most of the books are less than 6 hours, so it seems doable.

I'm wondering if there are any books to skip? I'm skeptical of Mary Poppins because of mixed reviews on Amazon & we because LOVE the Disney version *places bag over head* ;). I'm also skeptical of Pinocchio, is it too old for a 7 y.o. ...too depressing? I've never read it...so I could use some advice. Advice, comments on any of the other titles?? Thanks!

:bigear:

I love the idea, but I think most of the books are just too long to get through in week. You will probably have to narrow your choices. If you are using the WWE text you could select passages from one of the books for several weeks, instead of a new book every week. For example,

Weeks 1-3 Little House on the Prairie

Weeks 4-10 Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland

Weeks 11-19 Trumpet of the Swan

You probably wouldn't need that many weeks to read Alice and Trumpet, I was just going by the sample weeks in the WWE text. You could pick one of the other shorter books, like Peter Rabbit, to fill in. Or you could do something like Alice (weeks 4-6), Charlotte's Web (weeks 7-9), Trumpet (weeks 10-12), etc. There is a lot of flexibility if you are using the text.

If you are using the workbook, I would just start reading whatever books interest your kids.

If you're not having to buy everything ahead of time, I'd just go by which books your child wants to read. Some passages, you'll clearly see that the child is "meh" about it. Other passages, your child will say, "I want to know what happens next!" That will be the book you want to get from the library. :D

The first passage in the workbook is Little House on the Prairie, so maybe start with that, and when you get to the next passage, see if it's something you want to read.

In response to particular books, I love the Mary Poppins movie too. The Mary Poppins in the book is somewhat nasty and sarcastic. I think you have to be a bit older not to totally hate her. To a young child, she certainly seems only mean. I just finished reading Pinnochio to my kids, 7 and 9. They liked it, but there are some grisly scenes (paw bitten off the cat), con men animals who trick Pinnochio out of his coins, and death is mentioned on more than one occasion.

You might want to start reading some of them this summer so they are already familiar with the stories when they get to them in WWE, and do the others during the year. I am not sure it would be easy to fit each book in, in a single week.

Some good advice here, thank you!

Maybe we should read the Little House books this summer. I also think I'll find an illustrated abridged version of Pinocchio (Usborne or something) and try to audiobook most of the rest during the fall (skipping Marry Poppins as well).

We are going to be doing this too. We already own (and have read a couple of times) Pinocchio. We have a lot of old stories like that, so my kids are used to the grisly stuff. Just a couple of weeks ago we finished Mary Poppins as an audiobook. I agree with a pp that she is kind of mean in the book! Also I really didn't like the voice of the reader, so that turned me off right away. We finished it though. Dd will listen to anything as an audiobook. (Except SotW. :rolleyes: )

Our first book next year will be Charlotte's Web.

In response to particular books, I love the Mary Poppins movie too. The Mary Poppins in the book is somewhat nasty and sarcastic. I think you have to be a bit older not to totally hate her. To a young child, she certainly seems only mean.

You do see a little of that in the movie, but Julie Andrews just has a sparkle in her eye that takes off the edge for the viewer.

The second and the third books in the series are the gems though, and some plot points from these were used in the Broadway musical. So, OP, if you choose to read the first book (we still have an occasional giggle about the "sparrer"), consider going on. :)

We are doing WWE1. My son was very interested in Little House in the Big woods after here the passage from it in week 1. So, we have started that. I'm going to see how it goes from here. We'll see what his interest is and what I'm willing to let him read....like, he wasn't that interested in Pinocchio and I wouldn't have let him read that one anyway. Plus, we are still reading Little House in the Big Woods. The timing didn't work. But, I'm sure there are others included that we will want to read after hearing just the portions included and we'll do that. :)

I am planning on reading some of the books from WWE1 for our literature this year, i have not pre-planned them though. When we find one we are interested in from the passages in the book we will do that one. I am aiming for 1-2 per quarter so there will be pleny of choice from the passages we have already read :001_smile:

If you get the audio version of Mary Poppins (I think read by Sophie Thompson) it takes the edge off. My older two (6&4) have listened to it at least a dozen times over the past year.

Anyway, we've done some of the same thing with WWE since starting it in February. Pinocchio is one we read a month ago because of WWE. They liked it, but I found I a little painful to slog through. Alice was a hit of course, and DS6 also really enjoyed the COFA book on Sacajawea.

I agree about picking a few to focus on. If you weren't doing any other read alouds I think you could probably keep pace with WWE, but I think most of us are reading a lot! My boys have expressed interest in reading them all but added with everything else we read, we aren't "matching" up with the lessons. Nice to have a ready-made list, though!

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a list of the books that piqued DD's interest while doing WWE. We've read some of them already, and will read more during the summer. Both of us enjoyed Mary Poppins. I didn't think it was that bad, and DD didn't seem bothered by it. The copy our library has is from the 50s/60s, so I had to do a bit of editing during the section where they used the compass to travel.

I've made a list of the books that piqued DD's interest while doing WWE. We've read some of them already, and will read more during the summer. Both of us enjoyed Mary Poppins. I didn't think it was that bad, and DD didn't seem bothered by it. The copy our library has is from the 50s/60s, so I had to do a bit of editing during the section where they used the compass to travel.

I'll be starting WWE this summer. Is there a book list somewhere or do I have to read through the whole thing to find the titles?

Pam