Menu

Swollen pregnant feet - need some shoe suggestions please

Lisa in SC

Dd20 is 28 weeks pregnant today. She has gained 18 pounds so far, and was small to begin with, so,the doctor is satisfied with her gain. She just saw the doctor today, so we know her swelling isn't concerning, medically speaking, but her feet are very swollen. It doesn't help that she's on her feet all day at school, and then is a server at night. She'll take a leave from school and from work starting at the end of next month, but until then, she needs a professional looking flat, closed toe shoe, in black, that she can fit her foot into. Going up sizes doesn't help because the toe box is still too tight. To complicate matters, she has a bunion from working as a server since she was. 17 and being too stubborn and vain to wear a supportive shoe.

Birkenstocks are out because the back must be closed. Danskos are too tight across the top of her foot with all of the swelling. I'm at a loss. Honestly, she's such a little girl, but her feet are huge with the swelling. I was so surprised when the doctor pronounced it normal. Anyway, she's currently cramming her feet into a pair of cheapo, unsupportive ballet flats because they are the only thing that meet dress code and fit, but she's miserable. If anyone has any suggestions, I will gladly take them. :)

http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10088&subCatId=cat10266&skuId=131603050&productId=71633&lotId=131603&category=&catdisplayName=Womens

Try those in a wide width. They have free ship to store, so she could try it on there. I wore a very similar pair from Payless...going wide width and a very stretchy material helped.

Also, she needs some compression hose. I know she's not going to be excited about wearing it, but they do make it in knee highs. As the summer heat comes on, unless she addresses the issue, she's only going to be able to wear flipflops.

Isn't there some kind of black sneaker she can wear? Is this her version of looking proper that matters or job requirement ?

For school, she must look stylish. She's in a cosmetology program through Paul Mitchell The School, and sneakers aren't permitted. Boots, stylish flats, and any sort of high heeled pump (which is, of course, out of the question) are allowed. At work, black sneakers were allowed prior to last month when new management enacted a new dress code. Now, only a dress flat is allowed for female servers.

The bunion was entirely her own fault due to vanity. This current issue is because of dress code restrictions.

http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10088&subCatId=cat10266&skuId=131603050&productId=71633&lotId=131603&category=&catdisplayName=Womens

Try those in a wide width. They have free ship to store, so she could try it on there. I wore a very similar pair from Payless...going wide width and a very stretchy material helped.

Also, she needs some compression hose. I know she's not going to be excited about wearing it, but they do make it in knee highs. As the summer heat comes on, unless she addresses the issue, she's only going to be able to wear flipflops.

Oh wow!! I'm actually so excited! I think I love you (in a totally non-creepy, non-Internet stalker kinda way lol). These look great! We will be heading to the nearest Payless tomorrow night, because she doesn't have to work.

Also, I know nothing about compression hose. If they will help her, she will wear them if I have to hold her down and wrestle them on her swollen little feet myself (I'm kidding, y'all). Where do I get them? I didn't have any significant swelling, and I guess I never picked up on this info anywhere else. Bad mommy award for me.

Thank you so, so much!

If you can't find something appropriate, I'd find out if she can get around the dress code on temporary disability grounds, especially if her care provider can write a note.

Also, look for diabetic shoes - they're designed to accommodate swelling. Most of the ones at http://www.healthyfe...etic-shoes.html are expensive as heck, but some are kind of cute, and you might be able to find cheaper ones elsewhere. If she finds something she really likes that she'd be able to continue to use after pregnancy (which is likely a good idea if she already has foot problems), it might be worth the investment.

You will probably need to help her put them on. They are a bit pricey, but a lifesaver. She can easily handwash them each night, hang to dry, and put them on in the morning. She needs to leave them on ALL DAY.

The stuff they sell at Motherhood is NOT what you are looking for. They should have a listed compression rating.....they start at 8-15mm/Hg and go up to 40-50mm/Hg. With the higher rated stuff, her doctor can write a Rx, and get it covered under insurance.

You also need to have it cover the whole foot. The footless stuff is worthless. You want it to be like a stocking, covering all of the toes. How high up you go matters less. She could wear kneehighs. For me, the full belly coverage stimulated a lot of contractions for me, and thigh highs rolls down....I just wore knee highs. Since I don't wear skirts above knee length, it didn't matter that they just went an inch or two above my knees.

Solidea, Jobst, Sigvaris, juzo....those are the higher end brands that are carried on amazon. Key search words are compression hose women. ;)

Born shoes are fantastically comfortable. When I was pregnant with our last one my feet swelled a LOT early on. I found a pair of Born sandals and it was like walking on pillows. Wore them every day until it started snowing. I still wear them even though I'm not pregnant and they're huge on me now. They can be pricey, but depending on where you find them they're not too bad. Good luck!