Menu

Singapore Math - How do you make the CWP and IP not consumable

We use the workbook mostly, but are slowly starting to incorporate the CWP and the IP books. So far, I've been doing them orally, but I don't want to keep that up. I want him to be able to do them independently as he gets older. (He is still in 1b.) However, I'd also like to not consume them and use them for my younger children...if possible. It would save us a lot of money since I have 5 more coming. If we end up consuming them, that is fine too. It is still cheaper than private school. ;) I have several ideas, but can't decide what might be best.

I could cut the spine and put the pages in page protectors and have them use dry erase markers. But, I'm not loving the idea of the book being in a 3-ring binder because it takes up a lot more space on the shelf and I'm already lacking shelf space with only 3, all in K and 1st and I have 3 more coming.

I prefer things to be spiral bound so they lay flat...but how would I make that non-consumable unless I laminated the pages and that would be a pain and expensive. :tongue_smilie:

Of course, I just realized, I could just have him use different paper and not even cut the spine off. Or cut the spine and spiral bind it just because I like them that way......

If you try not to consume yours, what is your system?? Thanks! :)

I'm not using IP right now, but I use CWP at the white board. We lay the book on the desk, open, and we both work at the whiteboard to write out our answers (we race each other :) ). You could also use separate paper, like writing out of a textbook, but whiteboard is more fun. ;)

Thanks for the ideas! We use a white board already. We use it a TON for everything, but especially math. The thing is, I'm hoping to have him do it more independently than what we do with the white board. I have 6 kids and I need him to do his math independent after the lesson if he can. Of course, I'll teach him the lesson and always be there for help.

Great ideas about the page protectors that can slip over the page inside the book! I might cut the bindings off, spiral bind them and then use that method.

I can definitely see using a separate paper might not be as appealing with the IP book.

Racing him is a great idea! but wouldn't work yet because he is in 1b and I hardly have to think to get the answer still...but that won't last long because he is fast and has a math brain and I don't. ;) I'll definitely use this in the future though.

Should I be concern that I don't know what CWP and IP is since I just ordered Singapore?

It stands for Challenging Word Problems and Intensive Practice. Some use one or the other or both or none. :D I got them because my son has a math brain and he needs to be challenged. So far, the workbook does not challenge him at all. He really enjoys the CWP and IP a lot more because it isn't busy work for him. He has to really think about it...sometimes. ;) I can see him doing less and less of the workbook and sticking more to using the CWP and IP instead. But, I don't think that is the case for all children.

You don't have to have them. If your child needs extra practice or needs to be more challenged, they are good.