Menu

An open letter to Susan & Jessie

Dear Susan & Jessie: As I have been going through my well worn copy of The Well Trained Mind to prepare for next year, it occurred to me that for the first time I have kids in all three categories! My oldest is starting the rhetoric stage, while my youngers are still in the logic and some are just starting the grammar stage. I wanted to take the time to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the incredible books you both have written. I, literally, could not have done this without your "guidance." Each year, I reread your WTM book, listen to the audio lectures, visit this forum, reread again, listen again, etc. I agonize for months until I feel like I have covered everything I need to do in the schedule. Each year it seems like my initial anxiety increases as the importance of "getting it right" increases with each grade level. After going through the WTM during my planning, my anxiety disappears. I was talking with my husband this morning about our schedule for next year and happened to mention that my kids are getting a significantly better education than I had ever received. Somehow, even though my writing skills are poor (please don't evaluate this writing with your red pen! :crying: ), my knowledge of grammar is lacking, my history knowledge is almost nil, my math skills are.....well, o.k., I'm doing pretty well in math...but somehow I have been able to take my kids to a higher level in all these areas than I have ever achieved. Your products are to receive the credit. Even if you stopped producing anything else for the rest of your life, you have made a difference in this world. You changed my life and my kids lives, forever. (Please don't take that as permission to stop, this is all "theoretical", of course! :001_smile: ) Jessie, thank you for taking the jump and allowing yourself to be "completely intimidated by those three little children.." You made a difference. Susan, thank you for your lectures on high school level writing. Even though "I" didn't (and still don't) know how to write a persuasive paper when I started college, my kids sure will know how to do it! Finally, please forgive the informality of using your first names. I have read and listened to you so many times I feel like you are a close friend. Forever indebted to you, Hot Lava Mama

Another family who couldn't have done this without your thoughtful guidance. Though my older girls are now in school, I still consider them to be home schooled, as we use after school time and summers to add important bits to their education. My younger girls, who will have had the benefit of a WTM education from the start, are the lucky ones. I'm shocked everyday at how well this works. It is certainly the hardest thing we've ever done, but I have faith that the results will make all our toil worthwhile in the end.

Best regards,

Stephanie