Menu

Wildcat

We pulled up in front of the dorm at our designated time slot and were swarmed by upper classman who grabbed all the son's belongings from the car and toted them up to his room. Within 15 minutes he had his room key and was moved in! We made his bed (didn't want to unpack the rest until after we left) and helped him hook up his laptop to the school's internet - 30 minutes. We then walked over to the student union and waited while he got his school id and picked up his pre-ordered/pre-paid books - 45 minutes. Then we had to wonder around and kill time (about 3 hours) until the family bbq dinner (which lasted 30 minutes). All of this was explained in the Freshman Orientation letter from the college that we rec'd mid-summer.

Hope that helps,

Myra

Our experience was similar to Myra's, but when we arrived, ds had to wait in line for about an hour to pick up his room key. Once we made it to the dorm, the Greek helpers had the car unloaded and everything in his room in about 10 minutes.

The college should be able to give you information about the drop-off process. I wouldn't think you'd need more than one hotel night if you leave your place early in the morning and arrive in the early afternoon. At our son's college on move-in day, the Freshman had a late afternoon mandatory floor meeting and then a welcome dinner (parents not invited), so we said our goodbyes in the late afternoon. Early the next day, the Freshman were expected at a program, so there was no time to see Mom & Dad.

HTH,

Brenda

One hotel night should be plenty. Move-in actually goes pretty fast as long as you are doing it on the designated move-in day. On that day, most schools have lots of helpers with dollies to help move in. On any other day, you are on your own. I highly recommend doing it on the designated day.

DD19 said it took about 30 minutes to get her key. The music fraternity helped her carry her one suitcase to her room and she was done. Well, actually she spent the rest of her morning opening her mail - we ordered all her bedding, printer and such online so she had a stack of Amazon boxes to go thru. She said it was like Christmas!

One night should be plenty I would think.

One night is enough, as neither the college nor the student want the old folks hanging around after the student is moved in. Leave early, drive, unload, say good-byes and go have a nice dinner and a good cry at the motel, then next day drive home.

My first off went to a school 3 hours away, so we were able to take him and come back the same day. His school had it set up with meetings/class reg. for the kids, lunch for families, then the whatdoyoucallit opening ceremony where the professors all come in in their full academic robes (of course it was HOT and humid that day so those poor professors had to be melting!) then we were told to "hug your student good-bye" and the students were called away by last name to go off with upper-classmen for their own meet n greet etc. to begin orientation.

We parents were shuffled off to small group meetings with various officials - more to finish separating us from our youngun's then anything else ;-) * , although our meeting was useful. My Honors son had decided at the last minute to NOT be in Honors - I told the professor at our parent meeting that I knew ds was making a mistake and to please talk to him! I said "This will be my last helicoptering, but I homeschooled that kid and know he needs to be in Honors if only to meet others on his wavelength". The outcome was DS called alter to say a professor had talked to him and convinced him to stay in Honors. ;-) (Which he later admitted was the right thing to do. Sometimes Mother does know best!)

* The Wall St. Journal had an article a few months ago on how colleges shoo the parents off at orientation and ds's college< Augustana, was noted for how it did this!

There is a distinct lack of info on the uni's website, which is why I wanted to ask here. It's interesting to see how other unis handle

If I go by something that was said at one of the workshops at orientation (but I can't find mention of on the website), there is a *breakfast* for parents the day after move in. :confused: I thought it was odd that people would stay just to return for a breakfast the next day (and eat without their child!). We thought that was strange, but if it was the 'norm' and if ds wanted us to stay, we would have, but it looks like we're all cool with us leaving after we get him settled in his room.

Is it a school where many students will have come a good distance? If so, parents might be more likely to spend the night and start their travels the next day. Perhaps this is why the school has a breakfast?