Menu

Alternatives to Sonlight's markable map

Any type of map you want.

It is just a map, covered in plastic and a set of wet erase markers.

I have a couple of them and I have never used them. I prefer either one that goes on the wall (laminated ) or one for my overhead.

It is just easier for me to have one that is on the wall permanently. I can just turn and point, not dig it out and open it, THEN point.

The Learning Walls from Rainbow Resource require lots of wall space but we love them here. They allow us to record places/dates/routes/events, and they are big enough that things don't get all smooshed up.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/019690/aeea4eac04c0be955eaaa9aa

http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=019698

Knowledge Quest maps are great, and there is a thing you can print out to align them with Sonlight I think. Or, I love Biblioplan maps too, just have to know when to use which one. I like the Biblioplan ones because the directions are on the same page as the map.

Julie, A friend loaned me core 300 to use next year, but I'm trying to figure out how to have my dd do the geography. I'm not too interested in the markable map. I already own a 50x32 world wall map that my younger dd will use for ECC. My IG has the maps with the answers. I'd love to have these without the answers to give my dd something to work with (or something along that line). Another reason is that I really need to limit my purchases.

The year I did Sonlight, I had no idea what you were supposed to do with those maps with the little numbers all over them, LOL.

Some cheap options I can think of:

- skip it :)

- use the maps you have and ask the student to point to the listed locations once a day or once a week

- print out similar outline maps online and use those for the assignments listed in your guide (if you use google images for "outline map of X" you can usually find some printables)

- print out outline maps of each continent online and have the student just label everything that seems important on each continent

- copy-paste maps with features already on them, and create a notebook page or brief report at intervals during the year (of course crediting your source by pasting the link below the map)

- find current events located in the continent being studied and identify the country they are associated with (I think I put a page we did like that in the Yahoo files for MFWFamilies?)

- have the student use quizlet or something to memorize countries, capitals, etc, and then test them using an outline map you printed out

HTH,

Julie