Menu

Need Taco/Mexican Casserole type dish ideas

Ottakee

My kids would like something taco/mexican for supper tonight but i only have 1 pound of ground beef so that isn't enough to make traditional tacos for all of us.

Do you have any ideas/recipes for a taco/Mexican type one dish meal I can make with the 1 pound of burger?

I do have:

pack of 10 flour tortillas

bag of tortilla chips

lettuce

tomato

some sour cream

green chilis

tomato paste/sauce/diced/etc

lots of seasonings

mexican/taco cheese

black olives

onions

I was thinking maybe some sort of enchilada type casserole and then put the fresh tomato and lettuce on the top or ????

I wing this. I make a macaroni or rice, mix in cooked meat, taco spices and tomato sauce, paste or diced depending on what I have. I sometimes add bean, green chilies, olives, whatever. Top with cheese and warm through. I let everyone top on their plate with lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream or nothing. You can also make a sort of lasagna by layering tortillas, seasoned meat (I mix with beans), seasoned tomato sauce or salsa and keep going a couple layers. I usually add corn too. Third idea- brow up the taco meat mixed with beans and corn to stretch if you want and serve as nachos on the chips. Top with plenty of toppings to stretch further.

Cook the meat with taco seasoning, onions and chilis.

Add salsa (and corn and black beans or pinto beans if you have them)

Make a pot of rice with more taco seasoning added in

Mix rice with meat

Wrap it up in the flour tortillas, add cheese, sour cream, etc.

Because beef is so expensive on this island, this is how we make "tacos" here. A pound of ground beef costs about $10 USD so we add other things to it to fill up.

We love something like the above mentioned taco lasagna. I use more tortillas. It starts with sauce, then tortillas, sauce, then meat (seasoned), sour cream, cheese, tortillas, last of the sauce, last of the cheese. Absolutely delicious and well- received. Hearty.

Definitely taco lasagne! I can't find my recipe right now, but it's pretty much...

cook the meat, add seasonings, chilies and tomato sauce or paste (how thick do you want the sauce)

layer the soft tacos with the meat and cheese

serve with sour cream, lettuce and tomato on the side

yummy!

Wet burritos

1 lb ground beef or taco meat

1 can refried beans

enchilada sauce:

3 T chili powder

3 T flour

1 tsp cocoa powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp oregano

3 c chicken broth

8 oz can tomato sauce

Combine all dry ingredients in sauce pan. Slowly add enough of the chicken broth to make a thin paste, then add the rest of the broth. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Then stir in tomato sauce and heat through.

Put some taco meat and refried beans into a soft shell, roll and put into a 9X13 pan. Just a 1/4 c or so in each one. Repeat til pan is full. I fill maybe 20+ shells?

Then pour sauce over them, top with plenty of cheese and bake til cheese is melted and all is heated through.

Top with lettuce, tomato, etc. when serving, if you like.

Oops! See you don't have tons of tortillas. Save this recipe to feed a crowd of teens. ;)

Cook the meat with taco seasoning, onions and chilis.

Add salsa (and corn and black beans or pinto beans if you have them)

Make a pot of rice with more taco seasoning added in

Mix rice with meat

Wrap it up in the flour tortillas, add cheese, sour cream, etc.

Because beef is so expensive on this island, this is how we make "tacos" here. A pound of ground beef costs about $10 USD so we add other things to it to fill up.

I do this kind of thing all the time, right now I'm on a barley kick instead of rice. So I throw barley, black beans and corn into the crockpot with enough water to cook the barley and a jar of salsa. We often have this wrapped in a tortilla without any meat at all. Super yummy.

Here is what I did. It was a huge hit

brown 1 # ground beef with 1 chopped onion

add taco seasoning mix and 2/3 cup water

add a can of petite diced tomatoes with juice

put a tiny bit of this mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.

Then layer flour torillas with refried beans spread on them (found this easier to spread the refried beans on the flour tortialls before I put them in the pan instead of trying to glob them on later)

the meat mixture

finely shredded cheese

I did 3 layers of flour tortills and topped it all off with the cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until bubbly.

I served this with fresh diced tomatoes, chopped lettuce, black olives, sour cream, and more cheese.

• 2 weeks later...

This was such a hit I had to come back here to remember what I did so I can make it for supper tonight. Nice to have something fairly easy that all the kids will eat and with the fresh salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. they get some extra veggies as well.