Menu

Is being mean the cool thing to do now??

NotSoObvious

For some girls it is a type of humor but it will get out of hand or hurt someone. For some (as I have observed), it is a form of control. I notice that the girls who are snarky and always quick to be mean have a lot of friends (sucking up kind of friends) because they simply do not want to be on this person's bad side.

For some girls it is a type of humor but it will get out of hand or hurt someone. For some (as I have observed), it is a form of control. I notice that the girls who are snarky and always quick to be mean have a lot of friends (sucking up kind of friends) because they simply do not want to be on this person's bad side.

Bingo. This is exactly what is happening.

Wow.

I don't care if they are joking or not, if they are girls in my care, it doesn't fly. I hear it at church youth group of all places, and I put a quick stop to it. Of course I have a 5th grader who doesn't put up with it, so she usually calls them on it before I do.

"Typical behavior" is why it is tolerated. People who say something is "typical" means they don't want to deal with it or for some reason they are ok with people being mean. You know what, it wasn't "typical" when I was in school because it wouldn't have been tolerated. No one really would have even considered doing that then. I agree it probably has to do with television.