Menu

"Why do they put oil in peanut butter? That's just nuts!"

milovany

:lol:

That's what my 11yo dd just said as she got out the big Adam's peanut butter that needed stirring. She didn't realize her funny (that they don't add oil to peanut butter; it's already in there -- so it really IS "just nuts!") until my dh started laughing.

have you looked at the ingredients list? most brands of peanut butter does have added oil.

The OP has the natural kind that separates and therefore requires stirring the oil in.

Doesn't the non-stir kind replace the peanut oil with shortening-like oil? That was what I thought.

As a kid I thought the same thing and poured some out. Yeah, that was not a smart move. It was veeery dry!

we get our peanut butter form a health food shop where we grind the nuts and pay by weight. Funnily enough it doesn't get any oil on the top at all.

Do you go home from the shop and put it in the frig?

I think it would separate if it sat, and anything preground that's on the shelf meets that criteria. And once stirred, if you refrigerate, it maintains the texture, but I think if you let it sit out, it will separate again. That's all I can think of.

we get our peanut butter form a health food shop where we grind the nuts and pay by weight. Funnily enough it doesn't get any oil on the top at all.

That is probably because you eat it fairly quickly. We buy Adams and I only have to stir it when I first open it. We go through a regular jar pretty quick and it doesn't really re-separate.

That is probably because you eat it fairly quickly. We buy Adams and I only have to stir it when I first open it. We go through a regular jar pretty quick and it doesn't really re-separate.

no, we have the same container for months on end. sometimes nobody eats any of it for weeks. no oil rises at all.