Menu

Tenth grade Great Books questions

I am looking forward to the tenth grade Great Books list with far less excitement than I did for this year's survey of the Ancients. What are the absolute must reads?

Also, since we come from a secular viewpoint, but do not want to miss works that are critical either for historical or literary reasons, could you please help with the following - making a case for or against with regards to what your student thought of them:

Athanasius, On the Incarnation

Augustine, Confessions and City of God, Book 8 (I know we should probably read Augustine)

Boethius, The Consolation of Philosophy

Anselm, Cur Deus Homo

Everyman

Martin Luther, Commentary on Galatians

John Calvin, Institution of the Christian Religion

Aquinas: Selected Writings

Is there anything that is not on SWB's main list that you think we might enjoy?

I am looking forward to the tenth grade Great Books list with far less excitement than I did for this year's survey of the Ancients. What are the absolute must reads?

We read and enjoyed in 10th grade:

1st semester: Medieval

Beowulf

Chaucer Canterbury Tales

Song of Roland

Nibelungenlied

2nd semester: Renaissance

Dante Inferno

lots of Shakespeare

We read and enjoyed in 10th grade:

1st semester: Medieval

Beowulf

Chaucer Canterbury Tales

Song of Roland

Nibelungenlied

2nd semester: Renaissance

Dante Inferno

lots of Shakespeare

We can handle that list. :D Ds did The Inferno in 8th grade per his request, but I was thinking of revisiting it and then finishing the Divine Comedy. The TC lectures come highly recommended. Also, I have the Mabingnogion, which I'll pre-read over the summer in order to make my choice.

The bummer point from here on out is that we'll have run out of Elizabeth Vandiver lectures.

I know On the Incarnation is really popular these days - C.S. Lewis wrote an introduction and all - but as a historian of that period, I am pretty ambivalent about it's place in history. It's good, interesting to read, and not too dull or tedious, but I get the feeling that it's popularity today has more to do with today than the 4th c.

If your kid has a background in classical Greek literature I would suggest instead Basil the Great's "To Young Men on the Right Use of Greek Literature" (online text here and numerous other places). It's pretty short. Also, his friend Gregory Nazianzus has a number of Orations. If you are familiar with the classical oration style these are great fun. They are best read out loud. I would suggest the first theological oration, Oration 27. It is also pretty short.

Augustine makes me go :toetap05: but yes, sigh, he should probably be read.

Boethius is an interesting read. It's another post-classical treatise, but a morose one.

Anselm is okay. I never found him particularly exciting.

If you've already done some Aristotle, Aquinas is good.

Regentrude's list is good for Medieval. And the Mabingnogion, yes.

Also, since we come from a secular viewpoint, but do not want to miss works that are critical either for historical or literary reasons, could you please help with the following - making a case for or against with regards to what your student thought of them:

Athanasius, On the Incarnation

Augustine, Confessions and City of God, Book 8 (I know we should probably read Augustine)

Boethius, The Consolation of Philosophy

Anselm, Cur Deus Homo

Everyman

Martin Luther, Commentary on Galatians

John Calvin, Institution of the Christian Religion

Aquinas: Selected Writings

Is there anything that is not on SWB's main list that you think we might enjoy?

What years are you covering? If you hit Luther then what about More's Utopia or Machiavelli's The Prince?

Chaucer

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Beowulf

I remember reading some excerpts from British chronicles of this period. Perhaps they were from Bede.

The Russian saga of Olga of Kiev is not long and is quite entertaining.

We can handle that list. :D Ds did The Inferno in 8th grade per his request, but I was thinking of revisiting it and then finishing the Divine Comedy. The TC lectures come highly recommended. Also, I have the Mabingnogion, which I'll pre-read over the summer in order to make my choice.

The bummer point from here on out is that we'll have run out of Elizabeth Vandiver lectures.

We have been trudging through City of God this yr. I love Confessions. City of God......not so much. The good news is that the duo's lectures on Confessions are just as engaging as their lectures on the Divine Comedy. (I enjoy those 2 as much as Vandiver.)

I am assuming that Sir Gawain and the Green Knight has already been covered. How about Song of Roland? Dream of the Rood? Some of Canterbury Tales?

What years are you covering? If you hit Luther then what about More's Utopia or Machiavelli's The Prince?

Chaucer

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Beowulf

I remember reading some excerpts from British chronicles of this period. Perhaps they were from Bede.

The Russian saga of Olga of Kiev is not long and is quite entertaining.

LOL.....I must have been typing while you were posting. :)

Here is what The Boy did:

Ecclesiastical History of the British People (Venerable Bede—Wallace-Hadrill translation); Islam: a Very Short Introduction (Ruthven) ; Beowulf (Heaney); Mabinogion; The Once and Future King (White); The Inferno (Dante); Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Tolkien); Canterbury Tales (Chaucer); The Prince (Machiavelli); Richard II (Shakespeare); Henry IV, Part I (Shakespeare)

I felt guilty about not including Augustine but fortunately my son read City of God in college.

I also want to make note of two graphic novels on his reading list from that year, Persepolis (Satrapi),and Watchmen (Moore and Gibbons). My son did two Duke TIP weekends that utilized these books. The first was on the Graphic Novel as Literature and the second was called "Apocalypse Soon" which dealt with the end of the world in literature and film. The book Watchmen (he took the course before the film was released) was used as part of the initial framework for their discussion in the latter class. ("Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?") These are engaging books for adolescents that can lead to some interesting discussions.

I confess I don't know quite what are the time limits on this period and honestly, others have recommended some great stuff already. BUT my own personal little hobby horse is systematic theology which I can't help but notice you have in spades below. So I thought I'd make comments. I'm going to assume you are reading complete works. This might not be advisable for a high school student.

Athanasius, On the Incarnation I found this pretty readable and the Lewis preface should definitely be read; its thrust is why read original writers.

Augustine, Confessions and City of God, Book 8 (I know we should probably read Augustine) I think for a high school student I would read Confessions. Although I will admit it is not the top of my hit list. I recently read City of God and it is a work of systematic theology and certainly one of the most unique I have read in terms of organizing principles. I would not read book 8 though. The more interesting stuff is in the second half where it walks through history showing the two cities.

Martin Luther, Commentary on Galatian Personally I would read Luther's The Bondage of the Will. That is his great work of theology. Luther has a wicked sense of humor and you will find he doesn't hold back. From reading other works of this age, name-calling was fair. You may also wish to read Erasmus's On Free Will first since it is what Luther is writing about.

John Calvin, Institution of the Christian Religion Great to read, but again, I can't imagine subjecting a high school student to the Institutes, most people don't read the full thing to seminary. There is a commentary on Romans that might be better for a taste of Calvin. Calvin isn't Luther but you will once again find name calling.

You may also wish to tackle Lewis's The Discarded Image which is about the medieval world view. It is extremely helpful in reading medieval and later writers (very useful up through Milton). I'll never forget standing in a exhibition on the Spanish Renaissance and knowing why it was that Mary was standing on the moon in every single piece of art.

Here's DS reading list this year:

Untold Story of the New Testament Church

City of God, Augustine

Beowulf

Selections from the Koran

Marco Polo's Travels

The Five Rings

Canterbury Tales

Martin Luther's Commentary on Galatians

I planned to do more, but it just hasn't worked out.