Menu

What full curricula are out there that are NOT based on a FULL school year???

Mommyfaithe

Is there anything out there that would cover a full grade scope and sequence, but not necessarily take an entire year to complete?? Or say have 50 lessons that can be split in 3 parts or done in fifty days.

There are some subjects...especially, lately science and grammar that I would rather cover in a shorter time without all the busy work and repetition.

What I guess I am looking for is accelerated courses that are interesting but written to be bare bones.

It is frustrating to purchase books that are written to be covered in 180 days...and the lessons are pretty much timed to take 45 minutes. There are some courses where I want my kids to have the information, but do not necessarily want to spend our lives filling out needless work pages or reading full length novels...KWIM??

~~Faithe

Elemental science has a lot of lapbooking through science units that are really great. They vary in length, and are pretty basic, so you can go through them quickly or add to them if your child wants more. If you hate lapbooks, it's not for you, but my ds finds that part really fun.

Evan Moore Grammar and Punctuation? It has 25 rules per grade and we do a rule a day and review previous rules after we learn the new rule. DS started grade 1 in early March (he is severely dyslexic) and has blown threw it. He would be done except that I am not taking it seriously and on busy days, weekends, holidays and any day I do not feel like it we skip it. You could probably get through all 6 grades in a school year if you stuck with it and used it every day. I like to use some of the worksheets as review pages and have about 5 minutes a day of review work. The other 5 minutes is focused on today's rule.

Memoria Press

Many of their programs are meant to be done once per week, so do it two or three times a week and you'll be done in no time.

This might be LOVE!!! Which ones are only meant for once a week???

Thing is...I want quality...just not quantity, kwim?? Just because a program has a gajillion pages and worksheets does not make it the best one out there. I want BANG for my buck.

Junior Analytical Grammar = 11 week "season" of grammar.

www.analyticalgrammar.com/junior-analytical-grammar

Memoria Press Science courses are concise.

www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/science

Evan-Moor Daily Science = 30 weeks of daily activities, BUT these are very short and could be combined -- do science 2x/week, 2-3 pages each session = 15 weeks and done!

http://www.evan-moor.com/p/2768/Daily-Science-Grade-2

HTH.

The ORIGINAL (early 1990s) What Your _ Grader Needs to Know series says that reading and discussing the entire book takes 20 minutes a day for 1/3 of the 180 day school year. You can supplement, reread the book, or read more than one book a year.

This might be LOVE!!! Which ones are only meant for once a week???

Thing is...I want quality...just not quantity, kwim?? Just because a program has a gajillion pages and worksheets does not make it the best one out there. I want BANG for my buck.

History, science, Christian Studies, geography, and classical studies are all meant to be done once per week. All the ones that I have used have been one two-page spread per lesson.