Menu

Do you know of a math supplement that teaches step by step working through word problems?

Mommy7

Depending on the level, you might try Process Skills in Problem Solving -- the teaching is very explicit and incremental in those. They only go up to the equivalent of Gr. 6, though.

In your siggy you list these and CWP, do you alternate or how do you use these? And do you use the same grade level for each? We are using CWP, but these books look like they'd give a more thorough understanding of how to work through the problems.

In your siggy you list these and CWP, do you alternate or how do you use these? And do you use the same grade level for each? We are using CWP, but these books look like they'd give a more thorough understanding of how to work through the problems.

I'm using Process Skills a couple of ways.

For my younger dd, who was ready to start word problems but who could benefit from some more explicit teaching on strategies, we just went through the whole Level 1 book before starting CWP1. Were I doing it again, I might just do PS1 instead of CWP1.

For my older one, around halfway through CWP2, I realized that the bar model strategy was confusing to her. I pulled out the PS2 and had her work through about half of the bar-model problems, and then returned to CWP. Now I use PS2 once or twice a week on the whiteboard with her to go over a problem-solving strategy.

One of the biggest differences I've seen as a result of using PS2 is that she's reaching for different strategies now other than the bar model, like listing, diagramming, and renaming. And she's able to set up bar models in a way that makes sense and that helps her.

I use the PS at the same level as the child is in her main math, because the operations used in the problems reflect that. So in PS1, the student is doing word problems with addition and subtraction within 20; in PS2, she's doing problems with addition and subtraction within 1000, and multiplication.

I still like to use CWP because the problems are more challenging. PS is very explicit, but because of that the puzzle factor of CWP isn't there. Right now I'm using CWP about a couple of months behind where the student is in her main math, but I have no hesitation about dropping back a half-level or even a full level with that book.

HTH!

• Like 1

I'm using Process Skills a couple of ways.

Thank you for explaining this. I might look into the PS book after we finish our current CWP book to go over any strategies in the next CWP book. It might give him some skills to do CWP more independently. Sounds like it might be good to have in hand in case he gets stuck, and a good place to start my next DS when he is ready.

One of the biggest differences I've seen as a result of using PS2 is that she's reaching for different strategies now other than the bar model, like listing, diagramming, and renaming. And she's able to set up bar models in a way that makes sense and that helps her.

I use the PS at the same level as the child is in her main math, because the operations used in the problems reflect that. So in PS1, the student is doing word problems with addition and subtraction within 20; in PS2, she's doing problems with addition and subtraction within 1000, and multiplication.

We're finishing up SM 5. I've used the iExcel books (prior version of Process Skills) the whole way.

In 1 and 2, the books introduce the bar model. By the time you're in 5, there are some sections where I couldn't set up some of the CWP problems (fractions in particular) without having done the iExcel walk-throughs first.

I don't think iExcel alone would give enough practice.

It is very strong in showing a procedure and then giving some practice with that procedure.

The CWP books do a good job of then providing a lot of reinforcement.

I definitely think the CWP books have better and more challenging word problems than what you'd find using the text and WB alone.

I think the bar model approach is a brilliant way of transitioning to the idea of using a variable and algebra for word problems. It's not explicit at any point through 5 though, so I've shown my son how the bar model leads to an algebraic equation.

I don't know that this is what the OP is looking for...but I've taught math at the cc for 15 years now and I've been really impressed at the foundation my son has gotten with Singapore math and I'm thrilled at the word problems.

Ok...sorry if I am taking over the thread but I am wondering about these (Process Skills from Singapore) for my son. 8yo we are in Singapore PM 3B and he is doing well but because we didn't start with Singapore (only been homeschooling a year). Would it be wise to begin at the beginning in Level 1 or stay on Level 3 with these? He has a hard time with CWP. I thought that these might help. Thank you for sharing.

I was going to mention the Process Skills book too. I am using Process Skills and following with CWP at the same grade level. So we completed PS 2 and now we're working in CWP 2 . We really needed the explicit nature of the Process Skills book. I don't think we'd be having the same success in CWP without it. I do plan to do Process Skills 3.

• Like 1