Menu

Thinking of adding in some Latin for next year. Need some guidance.

MiniBlondes

We are ending our planning for next year and I keep getting this nagging feeling that we should be doing some Latin. DH would like to teach them Latin and Spanish. We are unsure which to do first, or if they can both be done simultaneously?

Which Latin curriculum do you all recommend and why?

They will be 5th and 3rd grades next year.

We like the Memoria Press latin programs. You may want to look at it and the forum is extremely helpful if you need help with placement. I have always read that it is easier to learn other languages if you do latin first. I don't know if that is true or not b/c we have only done latin....

Start with Getting Started With Latin, then anything you wish. GSWL is the only thing I have ever seen that is incremental translation from the very start, very well explained. There is nothing better to start with IMO !

ETA We have tons of Latin here, this is the only one that teaches from the start, and doesn't have you memorize a bunch of stuff, then tell you why later. Everything is taught as it comes up in simple translations. The lessons are easily done in a few minutes.

We have learned well from Lively Latin. I had no prior Latin experience. My dc very much liked the included history and art.

We were thinking of this one too, but it is cost prohibitive for us right now. I really love the history and art. I am hopeful we can add in those things by using Prima Latina.

Did you do the online version or buy the books and CD's?

Getting Started With Latin. It truly will get you started, and it won't intimidate you or the kiddos. Fantastic program, highly recommended (and I don't get paid to say that). You can follow it up with Latin Book One, available free from the Yahoo Group. It's an excellent follow-up, and did I mention that it's FREE? Combined with my $8 used purchase of GSWL, we'll have 2-3 years of Latin for ... $8! Oh, and the best part is ... Latin Book Two!

And also ...

Latin Book Three (Not free but cheap)

Tara

We were thinking of this one too, but it is cost prohibitive for us right now. I really love the history and art. I am hopeful we can add in those things by using Prima Latina.

Did you do the online version or buy the books and CD's?

We have done the online version and downloaded the lessons for printing on my b/w laser printer. I printed 3 lesson copies so that my two dc and i could learn together and then also the answer keys. When we needed to see a picture in color, we would look online.

It took us more than a year to finish BB1. And BB2--well, we are still working on that.

I appreciate the online pronunciation files for vocabulary. We downloaded those into itunes. Also, the videos are of good quality and were helpful.

Getting Started With Latin. It truly will get you started, and it won't intimidate you or the kiddos. Fantastic program, highly recommended (and I don't get paid to say that). You can follow it up with Latin Book One, available free from the Yahoo Group. It's an excellent follow-up, and did I mention that it's FREE? Combined with my $8 used purchase of GSWL, we'll have 2-3 years of Latin for ... $8! Oh, and the best part is ... Latin Book Two!

And also ...

Latin Book Three (Not free but cheap)

Tara

OMG! I picked that book up at a flea market in the States last year for 50 cents! I'm so excited to find a group for it AND answers! Thank you!

Well we've tried SSL and Prima Latina. I didn't care for SSL and just didn't feel that ds was ready for PL and wasn't sure that it fit us. Like many MP products I like the idea and premise but their execution does not seem to suite us. So, I have GSWL and Minimus on the way for next year!

We enjoyed SSL 1, and the new SSL 2 looks like a great lead into Latin for Children (Primer A) - which the program needed - but I definitely wouldn't recommend using SSL 1/2 past 2nd (possibly 3rd) grade. That being said, Latin for Children (Primer A) has been great for us this year! Fwiw, GSWL is a fine complementary supplement to LfC, but we prefer LfC as our spine.