Menu

Living books about animals?

Treasury of Animals by James Herriott

Among the Farmyard People by Clara Dillingham Pierson (There are several books in this series...Among the Forest Animals, Among the Meadow People, Among the Pond People, Among the Night People and one or two more. You can find all of these at the link for Among the Farmyard People)

Minn of the Mississippi by Holling C. Holling (about a turtle) and Pagoo by the same author (hermit crab)

Wild Tracks: A Guide to Nature's Footprints by Jim Arnosky ( I just added this one to my blog...really nice book about animal tracks.)

The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon by Jacqueline Davies and Melissa Sweet

For literature maybe...

The Jungle Book by Kipling

Charlotte's Web or Trumpet of the Swan by E.B White

Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater

The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams

Also there is a series of books from the I Can Read series for science. These are mostly out of print but worth the hunt. We have a few and they offer more then expected info on a topic.

Terry and the Caterpillars is one from this collection. There is one on classification, Benny's Animals and How he Put Them in Order.

Don't forget the Dover animal coloring books, these are great for your dc to color in while reading a read aloud.