Menu

Going to so-Cal around Mother's Day...What do you suggest?

Excelsior! Academy

Specifically Los Angeles toward Santa Maria. We have done Disney a few times, not that we are opposed to going again. :) We have also done Madonna Inn, seen the elephant seals, Pismo Beach clam chowder (yum!) and Medieval Times.

This time we will have a couple of days to be out and about with the majority of time with my mother. It is Mother's Day after all!

Dh wants to see the Getty Museum. We have a budget, but with 9 kiddos it only stretches so far.

What do you suggest?

The California Science Center is free (for the main exhibits - there's a charge to see the Shuttle or the rotating IMAX films), and pretty fun. We really like the habitats exhibit, especially the ocean area.

The Natural History Museum (next door to the Science Center, both are on the excellent new Expo light rail line) is not free, but is really, really good. The butterfly pavilion may be open for your visit!

For large groups, I love to get dim sum (Chinatown for easy-to-get-to, San Gabriel Valley for more authentic). It's fast, nobody bats an eye if you show up with 12+ people, and it's really affordable.

The Getty is free - you just have to pay the $15 parking fee. There's room to roam in the gardens if your littles get bored in the art exhibits.

Ditto for the Getty Villa, which is beautiful, and especially relevant if you are studying/have studied the ancients recently.

The Getty is free - you just have to pay the $15 parking fee. There's room to roam in the gardens if your littles get bored in the art exhibits.

Ditto for the Getty Villa, which is beautiful, and especially relevant if you are studying/have studied the ancients recently.

We've been to both of these museums. They are quite beautiful. Just be advised there are naked statues everywhere. I don't have a problem with it at all, but my kids think it is absolutely hilarious. They have dubbed the Getty Villa "wiener town." Mature I know.

We did just study ancients! Dh said he really wants to see this one. Thank you!

We've been to both of these museums. They are quite beautiful. Just be advised there are naked statues everywhere. I don't have a problem with it at all, but my kids think it is absolutely hilarious. They have dubbed the Getty Villa "wiener town." Mature I know.

Lol! We went a museum once with ancient statues. My 7 year old (at the time) was intently sketching a dog that was part of a nude statue. She was completely oblivious about the nude and was sitting on the floor look up...at the dog. You should have seen the looks from other adults.

What about Universal? Or would the youngers be miserable?

Could I squeak by without a theme park if I visited the El Capitan theater and soda shop? Is it worth the $?

We did just study the ancients! Thank you for the info!

Chanticleer is correct. Just—expecially for the Getty Villa Malibu—be sure to reserve parking well in advance. The spaces are limited so act early. While the Getty is hardcore about not letting you in without a reservation they are pretty easy going about the time you arrive, so if they don't have the ideal time available, take what works and show up.

The coast dirive is very pretty (can be a little congested in parts during Summer weekends) and there are nice beaches near the Villa, if that interests you.

Bill

Another free item is the Griffith Observatory and Park. You could take a picnic and have it on the grounds plus take a hike after seeing the exhibits. Parking is challenging but the driver could drop everyone off at the top of the hill with lunch and then go park the car.

We love both Getty Museums. You can also take a picnic and eat it on the grounds. They will keep your lunch for you in the coat check room until you are ready to eat.

Have fun!

Chanticleer is correct. Just—expecially for the Getty Villa Malibu—be sure to reserve parking well in advance. The spaces are limited so act early. While the Getty is hardcore about not letting you in without a reservation they are pretty easy going about the time you arrive, so if they don't have the ideal time available, take what works and show up.

The coast dirive is very pretty (can be a little congested in parts during Summer weekends) and there are nice beaches near the Villa, if that interests you.

Bill

I did not know you needed reservations. Thank you, Bill!