Menu

Will using multiple phonics programs confuse a child?

Okeychowie

I am currently using 100 ex lessons with my 4.75 year old and we are a little over half way through. I'm hoping to be finished this summer. Next year he'll be using hooked on phonics at a k-4 program. Will this confuse him? I am slowing beginning homeschooling next year, but he will be doing this phonics program twice a week with other 5 year olds. Will this confuse him? I thought it might be good to have him go at phonics again from more of a rule perspective. I try to explain things as we go through 100ez, but it's definitely more of a learning without knowing the rule kind of program.

As long as you're not trying to do the two programs at the same time I think he'll be fine. I agree that 100ezl is definitely learning without knowing the rules, so a natural next step would be learning the rules. Hopefully he'll have some mental "Aha!" moments :)

I think you could do them at the same time. Maybe there are some young children who learn phonics in some sort of orderly way, but my theory of early reading is throw everything against the wall until it sticks. We did try to stick with a single program all the way through, but we did many, many other things alongside it.

Does he like 100EL? If he's not thrilled with it, I'd recommend switching to a phonics based program instead. Learning rules is going to take him farther and longer, and he'll have to switch at some point, as you said. Then again, I like knowing rules :) My little one can sound out long words because she knows lots of rules.

Does he like 100EL? If he's not thrilled with it, I'd recommend switching to a phonics based program instead. Learning rules is going to take him farther and longer, and he'll have to switch at some point, as you said. Then again, I like knowing rules :) My little one can sound out long words because she knows lots of rules.

He loves 100 ez. I think it's a great program for him because we cover up the picture so he is always excited to do the reading work to then uncover the pic. He does really well sounding out words that aren't in the book. I do tell him the rule as we go i.e. silent e makes vowel say its name. And we're at the point where they are removing the special reminders like a smaller letter or the like above long vowels.

He also reads bob books, but doesnt like staring a new book because he thinks it will be too hard. it never is though. I think he loves spending the extra one on one time with me. He also likes randomly sounding out words throughout the day. He doesn't search out books unless its a required reading or read aloud time.

It sounds like you guys are doing great!

I found that when teaching little boys to read it helps to have a variety of "with-in their ability" Readers around, not just one kind. I tried Bob Books because I liked them and they made reading a chore for everyone involved. I went to the library and picked about 15 readers and brought them home along with some beginning chapter books, and a few read alouds. I found that the more I read to them and the more options they had to read, the more they wanted to and would read.

If your son finishes 100EZ Lessons, he will not need to do Hooked on Phonics K, at all. Probably not Hooked on Phonics 1 either, but I haven't seen the new versions to be able to judge appropriately.

You may want to check into ReadingBear. Its 100% free and covers a great deal of phonics in a variety of slideshows. I know that might sound weird, but I think you should take a look you may be able to make great use of it with your son.

How does your son feel about spelling? As you guys solidify reading, he might gain more benefit from learning to spell (and thus phonics and rules as a consequence) rather than covering phonics more explictly.

If his handwriting isn't up to par or his endurance isn't there just yet, then you can consider using things like letter tiles and paper squares for spelling.

I think it depends on the method. I was doing phonics with my ds and then he went to a VPK program where they did phonics with a lot of sight words (which I think hooked on phonics has as well) it was a disaster for my ds. I had to go majorly backwards when he came home. I think for sure not all kids would be affected by this as much as my ds was, but it was enough to stress me out. All is fine now, but it was a battle getting him back to pure phonics and not trying to "guess" at every word.

I used a full phonics program (Rod & Staff 1 and 2) after going through 100EZ with both of my older children, and am beginning now with my youngest. It was not confusing, and was actually really benificial...it explicitly taught the rules that they had been practicing, and continued where 100EZ had left off in making them excellent readers.

I also believe in throwing everything at small children til it sticks - that is what is happening in real life and learning other things - for example when teaching your child what a cat is you show them real cats, cats on TV, cartoon cats, pictures of cats in numerous books, you let them stroke both toy cats and real cats and you just keep telling them - they get it and they certainly don't get confused and not only that they somehow figure out what a real cat is versus what a toy/cartoon one is too.

Reading is very much the same - there is a discussion about phonics and sight words that comes up and while it can cause problems, I think it depends what parents expect and what the problem is - there are multiple ways of determining what a word is in a passage that are all valid as long as the result is correct. With individual words however and no picture phonics must be used if you don't know the word. I think it is up to the parents to keep drilling and helping their children sound out words in the context of passage/book reading - its ok if they guess and guess wrong as long as they can go back and fix it - even when sounding out they are likely to get it wrong sometimes because of the number of rules and no one complains about that. The question is do they know the methods to work it out - can they sound out a word and if they have used other methods to "guess or estimate" a word, can they check their guess with phonics?

I don't think you will confuse your child by using Hooked on Phonics. It sounds like you have done a great job with 100EZ lessons.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the input. I am wary of hooked on phonics as the director mentioned that they learned 100 site words this year. I know many site words these days are not just phonetic exceptions so I will definitely be on top of sounding them out with him.

He's really only attending this because we can't afford the entire 5 day a week program and the director made an exception for him. He's really shy in group situations so I think he needs this time away from me to build his confidence. He has a 3 year old brother, 6 month old sister, and a dad who leaves for months at a time for work so it's also so breathing time for me.

I will probably do more spelling with him next year because he really likes doing it randomly. His handwriting is alright, they use handwriting without tears at his preschool and ill do it again at home next year.

I feel much better about having him do another program after 100 ez.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the input. I am wary of hooked on phonics as the director mentioned that they learned 100 site words this year. I know many site words these days are not just phonetic exceptions so I will definitely be on top of sounding them out with him.

He's really only attending this because we can't afford the entire 5 day a week program and the director made an exception for him. He's really shy in group situations so I think he needs this time away from me to build his confidence. He has a 3 year old brother, 6 month old sister, and a dad who leaves for months at a time for work so it's also so breathing time for me.

I will probably do more spelling with him next year because he really likes doing it randomly. His handwriting is alright, they use handwriting without tears at his preschool and ill do it again at home next year.

I feel much better about having him do another program after 100 ez.

I think it is fine to switch. I have switched programs so many times with my ds and he seems to be picking it all up just fine. He tends to get bored with one thing, so when it seems he isn't excited for his reading lesson anymore, we switch programs. We also cycle back to old ones now and again and it is like they are brand new and fun again. My theory is that as long as he is progressing, it is more important to me that he is enjoying learning to read than than for us to grind it out just to get through a program.

Well 100ezl teaches things in such a different order that I think it would have confused MY child to try to use a traditional phonics program concurrent to it, but I'm sure some kids are different. And while I also believe in throwing things against the wall until something sticks, I think when something does stick, you should probably stop and build on that instead of continuing to throw :D

Regardless, I don't think the OP's child will have any problems switching to a different curriculum next year.

OkeyChowie- If you're looking for a recommendation for a spelling program to follow 100ezl, I'd recommend either AAS or one of the Spalding programs. (I can't remember the exact names.)

I also believe in "throwing everything till it sticks" like a pp stated. We are doing OPGTR and ETC as well as Why Johnny Can't Read lessons. I use various different readers and online websites as well as phonics games and hands-on activities. Even a few workbooks from Evan Moor. As long as you're progressing and not getting stuck, use what you need.

As for spelling, I really like ETC as it tends to teach some spelling along with reading. I've been thinking of adding some WRTR. I really like Sequential Spelling, but I like a child to be a confident reader before starting that. I'm really beginning to feel a that WRTR would lay a good foundation.

Again it depends on the child. I didn't have to do much to get my oldest reading and spelling. My Kinder is proving to need more attention and variety.