Menu

Son's comment really upset me tonight

Mango

This is why we call all special treats "after 8" in our house!

I would not offer the kid pizza. I instead would offer a fast trip back to bed. Very fast.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with adults having something special that kids don't get. Honestly - my kids are perfectly happy with store brand Oreos ($1.99/30) and don't care or appreciate Mint Milanos ($2.79/15). I do - so I buy a pack occasionally for me - but they are expensive. Yes - yummy - and my kids could eat a bag in a sitting. It's likely they'd prefer them if given a choice - but not so much so they'd give up all other cookies to eat a milano when the budget allowed. So they dont get any. They are mine to be rationed over time and the kids are 90% happy. They can get over the 10%. If kids get every single thing they want whenever they want - theyre just being robbed of the joy of waiting and having something special (like watching a movie at 9:00 and eating a pizza with your husband when the kids are asleep).

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even understand the fuss. If the kid came out of bed and asked for some pizza I would have given it and he'd have eaten it and we all would have gone to bed.

But we dont have this strict get back in your room paradigm of bedtime. I did grow up with that sort of. I remember smelling popcorn and I also remember my mom and dad giving me a small bowl and my brother being asleep and feeling very grown up and enjoying the quiet with them.

Anger and expression of anger is not really a parenting issue but more of a personality issue which parents hope to influence, I think. Parents can work with and encourage and influence a kid in how the child expresses anger so furniture doesn't get banged. But a child who does is is a work in progress, not doomed to a lifetime of whatever.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: