Menu

practice book for prealgebra level word problems

Preferably the kind that requires thinking. Any good recommendations?

This is for a current eighth grader, who dislikes math in general and does not do well with conceptual leaps. I'd like to stretch him more in this area. (His math text does includes 6-8 word problems in every lesson.)

Thank you. :001_smile: I'd forgotten about Zaccaro and will take another look. I'm looking closely at the other recommendations too. We already own Lial's prealgebra, but it's his little sister's book. That would cause conflict. :tongue_smilie:

Besides Zaccaro's Challenge Math, I'm using the book Math for Real Kids for applied world problems. For the most part, it's very good. (I don't always like "real-world" math problem books for kids; often, even though they are real-life problems, they aren't about things kids would be familiar with - things like GDP of Austrialia for a year. I didn't like this about Maria Miller's real world math books, which is why I don't recommend them (even though I love MM!)).

Here is a link to MfRK: http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1596470119

ETA: And yes!! The Hands-On Equations verbal problems book, I agree completely. It has a big variety of interesting and challenging problems.

Hands on Equations has some nice problems in their Verbal Problems Book. They start easy, but they're great for making a connection between Algebra and word problems.

Also, if your child never did Singapore's Challenging Word Problems, consider those. We've gone back and done some CWP from the level 4 and 5 books using the bar models as well as trying the same problem with algebra and they're plenty challenging! Also, I love that they're solved in the back...

Zaccaro's Become a Problem Solving Genius and Real World Algebra have great problems.