Menu

Work Boxes + Filing System?

I'm already using the file system and it has worked beautifully. I have no plans to change that next year. I do like the idea of workboxes just to make the day more streamlined and to give my kids a visual of what is to be accomplished that day and a systematic way to get through their work while it remains organized. We have books and folders piled up everywhere and it is driving me crazy.

Are any of you still using workboxes? I found some rainbow ones on Amazon for a reasonable price. Any drawbacks I should know about before purchasing?

http://www.amazon.com/Advantus-Organizer-Casters-Multi-Colored-Drawers/dp/B000S12SII/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_6

I have some like this and they are a pain!! The drawers are hard to keep in and fall into the ones below them, then they are hard for the kids to get back on the tracks. We only use them for coloring books and drawing paper after a failed attempt with books and they still don't stay put. These cost a little more but Joann's also carries them (not sure about Michael's). Because of the X-frame they stay together better.

I actually bought metal ones from Joann's last year during their back-to-school sale and I love them! They wok much better. It was about $125 for two of them including tax but the drawers stay in and they are all metal.

We love our workboxes. It really does cut down on the mess and the kids enjoy knowing how much they have left at a glance. We always start with group lessons first and then individual lessons are found in the workboxes following. The ones that we use are this 6 drawer unit from Staples. They are pretty sturdy and have a nice divided storage tray on the top. I do wish the drawers were deeper, but they work well enough. When I bought ours they were on sale ~ 50% off I think, and a couple that they had on the floor had cracked plastic...so watch for that before purchasing.

We aren't using work boxes right now, but I'm thinking about it for next year. I will say that I've heard bad things about the rainbow colored ones though.

If you're stuck on the rainbow ones Walmart has a set online that looks very very similar to the ones you linked to on amazon for $30, search for Mainstays 10-drawer trolley cart. They get mixed reviews, but I'd for sure order from Walmart before Amazon, so you could take them back if they didn't work out.

I never did a full workbox system, but I've used a modified one. I wrote about them and my filing system here. I found that ds liked it for awhile, but really preferred having a checklist like in a planner. I stopped using the hanging file folders for their daily work. This year, I wanted ds to have all his books at his desk, so I bought this on sale. It sits beside his desk. I haven't taken the time to label the drawers or anything (I'm working part-time, help at church, and teach outside homeschool classes!), but he knows what subjects are in which drawers. I bought it for $19 at Big Lots, but it was only $25 to begin with (not the $100 on Amazon).

Thanks, everyone. I've decided to go with the hanging file folder system that I can put pocket folders into. They will take up less space and my kids can't shove random junk inside like I know would happen with the drawers. :closedeyes: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LLEA5Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already plan ahead, copy and file everything we need from worksheets, lapbook pieces, book lists, etc. So this will steamline our day even more. I'm excited!

I use these and like them a lot: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10008430&N=&Ns=p_sort_default%7C0&Ntt=plastic+basket They stack nicely, so each older child has a stack, plus there's a stack for group subjects, and a box for the 4yo (doesn't want to be left out, ever). I put their daily work in the boxes, one per subject, and it really does make it easy for them to see what they need to do each day.

I have the wall hanging file folder system that the OP has chosen. I originally intended to use it as she plans to use it but found that it did not work as well it couldn't be hung in the kitchen where we do school. It is in the area where we keep our school books and supplies which is next to the kitchen but not immediately in the kitchen. . .it's so much easier when all of our material is where we do our work.

Instead I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Decoflex-Black-Desktop-23013/dp/B0012VIJGS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363879445&sr=8-2&keywords=hanging+file+folder+organizer

They are stored in our school supply area but are easily carried to the kitchen at the beginning of school and then go back. They fit really well on our bookcase too. I can also bring them into the living room to place their work in them when I sort things on the coffee table.

I had two originally (I can't believe they are so expensive!!!) and just bought two more because all of our subjects are such a tight fit (each child will now have two).

I now use the wall hanging file folders for paper and letter writing material, nature journal pages, holey math, etc. I use these paper key tags to label the slots so if something is empty I know ( and the kids know) what should be placed in it. These wall hangings are great for things like that. Everything is visible, organized, and accessible (it just wasn't accessible enough for me for school!).