Menu

Catholics - Any plans for the Feast of St. Joseph

aggieamy

I'm looking for ideas this year. I've heard lots of cakes is the tradition so DH and DD are on board with that idea.

Other discussion topics besides St. Joseph are welcome in this thread also. In particular I can use some motivation to go to confession this week. It's been awhile ...

We're planning on going camping that day so I'm thinking I might take some fish to grill and one of the aforementioned cakes. I feel like I really missed out on a lot of cool Catholic celebrations I should have been doing as a kid so I'm trying to ramp it up for DD. DH is kind of getting into it also.

I was brought up Catholic and one thing my big Italian family did was have a neighborhood St. Joseph's Day Alter. I was actually thinking of bringing the kids to one since we have been discussing Catholicism and the Pope but have not seen any. Maybe it is a Southern thing.

Can you tell what you did? This is my first, and I"m a bit unsure as to how this rolls. I AM making Italian for dinner (not a stretch, we are) but from there, I'm stumped.

Aggieamy - Go to confession. It is good for the soul. ;) I went twice last week. :cool:

I tried to call and make an appointment with the priest not at my chuch last week and he's all booked up until after Easter. I need to go this week to get my plenary indulgence. (Spelling on that?)

ETA: I found a nearby chuch that has a 7 am confession on Monday morning. I'm going to go!

There is a St. Joseph's near us and I was thinking of trying to make it to either the 8:00 a.m. Mass (But I bet none of the kids will go with me) or the 12:15 Mass which will means we'll have to dash right out the door to various activities that begin at 1:30. I never understood why Italian means St. Joseph. He wasn't Italian! I know the Italians like to celebrate the day so I guess that is the source, but it always struck me as funny. But then again, St. Nick was from Turkey and St. Lucia was from Italy and we associate those saints days with other countries.. . .

Our homeschool group usually has a St. Joseph's Day talent show, but we haven't been in it for a couple of years and I think, sadly (and feeling guilty about this) the participation has dwindled so much that it may not even go off this year. My kids just aren't into talent shows lately.

Maybe we'll attach The Litany of St. Joseph to our rosary. And pray extra hard for our new Papa Francesco!

Can you tell what you did? This is my first, and I"m a bit unsure as to how this rolls. I AM making Italian for dinner (not a stretch, we are) but from there, I'm stumped.

I was little when this happened and I can remember food...tables and tables of food, lots of candles and statues. The food ranged from main foods to cookies and pastries to breads. Not sure what you are asking. For the alter, we went in, lit a candle, and then loaded up with food. Before we left we each got a St Joseph card and a bean. I know it took my grandmother and all my aunts days to prepare the food, one house was designated for breads, one sweets, one main dishes. It was a big family affair....think on the line of My Big Fat Greek Wedding only Italian.

Some of the main dishes I remember:

Stuffed peppers

Stuffed artichoke

Lasagna

Breaded eggplant

meatballs

Italian sausage with potatoes

Yet another reason I ought to convert. Ya'll have got the quiet music, the coolest Latin prayers and all these great feast days!

(And I think the new pope is pretty cool too!)

C'mon home! :)

Our oldest's RE program (middle school goes a separate day/time from elementary) is having a "St. Joseph's Table" (not my parish). They have small treats to eat and are asked to bring non-perishable food for the food pantry.

I needed to make confession this past Friday (we only have a few options at our parish) but I missed it. I'm hesitant to go to another parish nearby as I'm still shaky on the entire experience (I've only gone 3x, counting my first, since my first reconciliation just prior to the Vigil last year); yes, the goal is from now on to go monthly).

And can I say the more I learn/hear about Pope Francis, the more I love him?

Our oldest's RE program (middle school goes a separate day/time from elementary) is having a "St. Joseph's Table" (not my parish). They have small treats to eat and are asked to bring non-perishable food for the food pantry.

I needed to make confession this past Friday (we only have a few options at our parish) but I missed it. I'm hesitant to go to another parish nearby as I'm still shaky on the entire experience (I've only gone 3x, counting my first, since my first reconciliation just prior to the Vigil last year); yes, the goal is from now on to go monthly).

I'm pretty excited about our new Pope also. DH is really impressed with him and I'm loving that. I'm the Catholic and DH is an eventual convert. He promised me that he'll convert in the next few years and I can see him being more excited about the faith with the new Pope. Cool!

I'm the Catholic and DH is an eventual convert. He promised me that he'll convert in the next few years and I can see him being more excited about the faith with the new Pope. Cool!

That's us too! My husband already thinks of himself as Catholic (he was raised Lutheran), but he just needs to go through RCIA. His current command is so busy and hectic that he would be hard-pressed to make it to weekly classes. His next duty station is supposed to be extremely laid-back and family-friendly, so that may be when it finally happens.

We're also in the middle of a tribunal for his first marriage. I'm hoping we get the final word soon so our marriage can be convalidated and I can begin receiving communion again. It's been a long time. :(

That's us too! My husband already thinks of himself as Catholic (he was raised Lutheran), but he just needs to go through RCIA. His current command is so busy and hectic that he would be hard-pressed to make it to weekly classes. His next duty station is supposed to be extremely laid-back and family-friendly, so that may be when it finally happens.

We're also in the middle of a tribunal for his first marriage. I'm hoping we get the final word soon so our marriage can be convalidated and I can begin receiving communion again. It's been a long time. :(

Whoa. We are living parallel lives. DH and I just had our marriage convalidated a few months ago. I was so happy and relieved. I hope you guys get some good news from the tribunal soon. Waiting for stuff like that can be so hard.

Just go to another parish. Tell the father that you are a recent convert and you've only done confession a couple of times. He will walk you through it, I'm sure. And be happy to do it.

ETA: Yes, I'm seeing the world through recent confession colored glasses. It is like being in love for the first time, one thinks everyone ought to be feeling the same way.

Is it a sin for me to say in a sing-song voice, 'I'm not in mortal sin. I'm not in mortal sin. Whoot! Whoot! I'm not in mortal sin."

I'm reverting to Catholicism and did not grow up celebrating feast days. Are there any good resources (books) that list the different days and the customs or celebrations that go along with the saints?

Thank you!

Elise in NC

The Catholic Home is a good book. It doesn't necessarily have all the various saints days, but it goes through the liturgical year, season-by-season, with traditions and activities. So for Palm Sunday, for instance, there are ideas for intensifying your anticipation of the Resurrection.

I am helping cook dinner for 30 at church- Italian of course- for one of our supper and seminar nights.

Homemade red sauce and meatballs, pasta, a white sauce (or maybe carbonara) and bread and salad etc.

Sounds delicious! I might have to have dh make some meatballs for us on Tuesday night to serve over pasta. :)

The Catholic Home is a good book. It doesn't necessarily have all the various saints days, but it goes through the liturgical year, season-by-season, with traditions and activities. So for Palm Sunday, for instance, there are ideas for intensifying your anticipation of the Resurrection.

Thank you! Going to check it out on Amazon now.

Elise in NC

I ALWAYS forget I have that book! It's a treasure. And, I'm going to look in Maria Von Trapp's book tomorrow.

Wow, that must have been so hard. :grouphug: What a sacrifice to make.

Going to confession is like vacuuming-- I put it off, and put it off, and it bothers me to look around at all the dust but I still don't feel like doing it... and then I do, and it was so easy and I feel so much better and I wonder what took me so long.

Ladies, I won't be chiming in as much now that Lent is beginning for us EO--- just wanted to reassure you that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth-- thanks for all your kind words. Nyssa

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! I went to confession and it was just fine. I brought a cheat sheet but didn't really need it and I'm so glad I did this. For my penance Father told me to pray for my adoption. Awesome! I can do that.

Is it a sin for me to say in a sing-song voice, 'I'm not in mortal sin. I'm not in mortal sin. Whoot! Whoot! I'm not in mortal sin."

:)

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! I went to confession and it was just fine. I brought a cheat sheet but didn't really need it and I'm so glad I did this. For my penance Father told me to pray for my adoption. Awesome! I can do that.

:)

I'm glad you went. Now you can sing with me.

I'm debating attending our parish's Penance Service this week, but I'm curious how "out in the open" the "private" confessions will be. There will be visiting priests there to help hear confessions following the service, but I'm not sure what to expect. I'm debating attending, or instead attending our once-a-month Taize prayer night instead (I haven't been to one yet and really want to experience it) and just going to regular confession Friday or Saturday.

I'm debating attending our parish's Penance Service this week, but I'm curious how "out in the open" the "private" confessions will be. There will be visiting priests there to help hear confessions following the service, but I'm not sure what to expect. I'm debating attending, or instead attending our once-a-month Taize prayer night instead (I haven't been to one yet and really want to experience it) and just going to regular confession Friday or Saturday.

When we've had visiting priests for after the little penance service (remember a penance service does not absolve one from sins) one priest goes to confessional A, one goes to confessional B, one goes to the chapel, one to a class room and one to the sacristy. They were all really private, except for the mostly deaf priest who spoke rather loudly.

Our parish has a pretty big penance service. The visiting priests actually just sit in chairs at the sides of the church and people line up. The choir and organist are playing and singing the whole time, so you can't hear anything. In fact, last time I went, it was hard to even hear the priest!