Menu

Choosing Algebra II text after Lial's Introductory

I am trying to decide between Lial's Intermediate Algebra or switching over to AOPS. After a rocky start with several curricula, ds breezed thru Lial's Introductory Algebra last spring. He is using Holt Geometry this year and doing fine. According to what I've read on the boards, AOPS Introduction to Algebra appears to be both Algebra I (up to Ch. 13) and Algebra II (rest of book). Would you say this is a fair assessment, or should he continue to some point in the AOPS Intermediate Algebra book to complete Algebra II?

In either case, Lial's or AOPS, how much of Algebra II, if any, is covered in the Intermediate texts? How much is actually Algebra III (College Algebra)?

Since they each have a Precalculus text, I'm assuming that is just the typical Trig and Math Analysis concepts.

Appreciate your advice!

THANKS!

Lial's Intermediate Algebra *is* Algebra II. The Lial Precalculus book (or College Algebra book) has Algebra III.

As for AoPS... I've been researching this very thing this morning. From what I can tell, if you plan to do Introduction to Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, Precalculus, and Calculus, you will have covered quite a bit more than what is covered in the typical Algebra I, II, precalculus, and calculus sequence. I think think breaking it up as they do, with Intro to Algebra being Algebra I and II makes the most sense, though it does make the subsequent precalculus course quite long (because it is contained in two books). Hopefully someone who actually knows what they're talking about will chime in here!

I've also been carefully reviewing our copy of AoPS Intro to Algebra by doing lots of problems and I'm finding that there are what might be considered Algebra II concepts introduced quite early on. For example, there is quite a bit of work with algebraic fractions, which seem to have been put off to Algebra II with the Common Core. My younger son is currently using the Common Core aligned Larson text in his Algebra I class at school, so if I decide to have him do AoPS for Algebra II, I'll have him start at the beginning of Intro to Algebra, both to ease him into the AoPS experience as well as to make sure there are no gaps.

I also wanted to mention that my older son used Lial's Intermediate Algebra for Algebra II. It was an excellent text, and with it, he and I had the best math year ever in his time homeschooling.

I don't know anything more about AOPS than you do. It wouldn't have suited any of my kids.

My two older girls both used Kinetic Books for Algebra II and I thought it was a fantastic program. I am tutoring a student through Lial's Intermediate Algebra for Algebra II right now. KB is definitely a much deeper program than Lial's. KB Algebra II is much closer to the level of Lial's Precalculus than it is to Lial's Intermediate Algebra.

The first 4 chapters of Lial's Precalculus are a compression of Lial's Intermediate Algebra and also go deeper. The rest of Lial's Precalculus is almost entirely new material after Lial's Intermediate Algebra.

In comparison, there were only a few chapter sections (not entire chapters) in Lial's Precalculus that my dd had not covered to the same depth in KB Algebra II (which also included trig).

Lial's Precalculus after KB Algebra II was almost entirely just a repeat. I still think it was good for her to work through that material from a different publisher.

According to what I've read on the boards, AOPS Introduction to Algebra appears to be both Algebra I (up to Ch. 13) and Algebra II (rest of book). Would you say this is a fair assessment, or should he continue to some point in the AOPS Intermediate Algebra book to complete Algebra II?

In either case, Lial's or AOPS, how much of Algebra II, if any, is covered in the Intermediate texts? How much is actually Algebra III (College Algebra)?

Since they each have a Precalculus text, I'm assuming that is just the typical Trig and Math Analysis concepts.

AoPS has a different sequence from most textbooks. Intro to Algebra does cover both typical algebra 1 and algebra 2 material.

AoPS Intermediate Algebra covers the advanced algebra part of precalculus (sometimes called college algebra or alg 3), albeit at a very challenging level. AoPS Precalculus covers trigonometry, complex numbers, and vectors & matrices, again at a level above & beyond most classes.

Both Intermediate Alg & Precalculus are big, thick textbooks. You'd have a hard time getting through both of them in their entirety in one school year. (remember, AoPS was written for kids who want & need more challenge in math). You could do it if you pick & choose topics carefully (see this old thread for details).

The first 4 chapters of Lial's Precalculus are a compression of Lial's Intermediate Algebra and also go deeper. The rest of Lial's Precalculus is almost entirely new material after Lial's Intermediate Algebra.

So, if these chapters are a compression of Intermediate Algebra that actually go deeper, then could you use just those as the Alg II curriculum...or would it be too lite overall?

Thanks!

So, if these chapters are a compression of Intermediate Algebra that actually go deeper, then could you use just those as the Alg II curriculum...or would it be too lite overall?

Thanks!

I would really, strongly recommend against this. This pace would be inappropriate for any but the most gifted student. I could see it if costs were a serious issue, but older editions (which are perfectly usable) of Lial's are CHEAP.

So, I knew this was pretty much a NO before I even asked it :0 Thanks for the confirmation!