Menu

Which Hakim book covers astronomy/physics/physical science?

The Hakim books are organized chronologically, so you'll have plenty of early astronomy in first one, Newton in the second, and various more modern developments in the third. I wonder if your library has them and you could do some picking and choosing? We've chosen to run Hakim's books alongside our science and history rotation, so while my Logic Stage son was learning ancients, we read Aristotle Leads the Way. Now we're in the Middle Ages, so he's started Newton at the Center.

HTH

The second one, Newton at the Center, is much more what you'd think of as middle school physical science. It covers astronomy with copernicus, galileo, kepler, brahe etc., then moves to Newton and covers a lot of the basics of physics - light/optics, motion, force, gravity. Then it covers gases, a little chemistry (the periodic table and early atomic theory), then heat.

The third book covers more "modern" physics - electricy & magnetism, atomic theory, etc.

I'm building a pretty cool (IMO) physical science course around Newton for next year, bringing in extra resources for astronomy, Newtonian physics, and chemistry, and covering each topic pretty thoroughly. Then we'll still have to pick up the "rest" of physics at some point, not sure how we'll approach that yet.

Thanks ladies! We're doing earth science with a focus on astronomy and space science next year (as per dd's request). I'm not finding what I want/need in any *one* textbook. I was looking at Holt Earth and Space, but I'm wondering if I should go more the astronomy/physics route so I can employ my husband's awesomeness, lol.

I'm just nervous about those quest guides :p

Well, to be fair, I think they are *geared* to the classroom - in that it gives a teacher a step-by-step script about how to turn the chapter into a lesson, with discussion of the reading, timelines, and classwide activities. However, it is easily adaptable to working with a single student in the home setting, the activities are good, the discussion questions are good - the Quest guides help to turn it from just an interesting text-ish book into an actual science curriculum, complete with labs & activities.

I'm building a pretty cool (IMO) physical science course around Newton for next year, bringing in extra resources for astronomy, Newtonian physics, and chemistry, and covering each topic pretty thoroughly. Then we'll still have to pick up the "rest" of physics at some point, not sure how we'll approach that yet. [/Quote]

Chrysalis Academy --I would LOVE to hear how you are going to do your physical science course for next year!

Hah! I've actually been reworking my plans for this. I will post what I'm thinking of right now, with a huge caveat that this is still a work in progress. This would be for 6th grade, with the rest of SOS/Newton, plus extra chemistry, covered in 7th grade. So a two-year conceptual physical science class, essentially. Here is the first term's schedule, I'll post the second term in a following email

Science – 39 weeks scheduled

Term 1: Astronomy

Text: Story of Science: Newton at the Center Ch. 1-11 w/ Quest Guides Unit 1 & 2

Research Resources: DK Space Encyclopedia; Eyewitness Astronomy; Eyewitness Visual Dictionary of the Universe

Project/Lab Resources: Janice van Cleave’s A+ Projects in Astronomy

Living Books: The Planets – Dava Sobel

Other Resources: Exploring the Sky: Projects for Beginning Astronomers - Richard Moeschl

Unit A: The Solar System (3 weeks)

The Planets – Dava Sobel: Read Chapter, look up topic in RRs, watch doco

Intro; Bill Nye – Outer Space & Planets; The Cosmos: Adam Hart-Davis - BBC Documentary

Ch 1 – The Sun; Bill Nye – The Sun

Ch 2 – Mercury

Ch 3 – Venus

Ch 4 – Earth; How the Earth Was Made - history channel; Smithsonian Chronicles; Earth, A Biography

Ch 5 – The Moon

Ch 6 – Mars

Ch 7 – Jupiter

Ch 8 – Saturn

Ch 9 – Uranus & Neptune;

Ch 10 – Planeteers; Bill Nye – Space Exploration

Unit A Assessment - The Planets Paper: Pick one topic and write a report

Unit B: History of Astronomy (2 weeks)

SOS Unit 1:

SOS 1.1 – Ch 1 -Off-Center? It Can’t Be!

SOS 1.2, Ch 2 – A New Age/New Ways of Seeing; What’s to Be Made of Leonardo?

SOS 1.3, Ch 2 - A New Age/New Ways of Seeing

SOS 1.4, Ch 3 – On Revolutions & Fools

T&K Experiment p. 89 – The “loops†of Mars

SOS 1.5, Ch 4 – Tycho Brahe: Taking Heaven’s Measure

SOS 1.6, Ch 4 – Holding a Ruler to the Sky

SOS 1.7, Ch 11 – Poor Kepler

Unit B Paper: Pick one topic and write a report

Unit C: Galileo (3 weeks)

SOS Unit 2:

SOS 2.1, Ch 5 – Renaissance Men

SOS 2.2, Ch 6 – Gazing at a Star Named Galileo

SOS 2.3, Ch 5&6 – A True Story; Math, the language of science

Zaccaro Challenge Math Ch. 1 - Astronomy

SOS 2.4, Ch 7 – Moving Relatively or Relatively Moving?; Messing around with Motion

T&K Experiement p. 55 – The Law of Falling Bodies

McHenry Gravity Lab (Galileo)

McHenry Pendulum Lab

SOS 2.5 Ch 8 – Are Novas Really New Stars? Supernovas

T&K Exp p. 91 – Direction of a comet’s tail; Bill Nye – Comets & Meteors

SOS 2.6 Ch 9 – Moving the Sun and the Earth

T&K Exp p. 5 – Lenses & Magnifying Glass

T&K Exp p. 7 - Telescope

SOS 2.7 Ch 10 – Do You Think You have Troubles?

Unit C Paper: Pick one topic & write a report

Term 2: Physics, part 1: Mechanics & Light/Optics

Texts: Story of Science: Newton at the Center w/ Quest Guides Ch. 12-17

Life of Fred Physics Ch 1-21

How Things Work Ch. 1-4 plus Coursera class online

Labs: T&K Activities

Stop Faking it: Force & Motion

Stop Faking it: Energy

Stop Faking It: Light

Term 2 Schedule

Unit D: Newton & Light/Optics (2 weeks)

SOS Unit 3 – Knowing About Newton

3.1 Ch 12 – Descartes & His Coordinates

3.2 Ch 13 – What’s The Big Attraction

3.3 Ch 14 – Gravity

Zaccaro Challenge Math - Calculus

3.4 Ch 15 – Newton Sees the Light

T&K p. 9 - Microscope

T&K p. 10 – breaking white light into colors

T&K p 11 – spectroscope; T&K p 6 – Camera obscura

T&K p 15 – photography; T&K p 16 - Film

Unit E: Motion, Inertia, Newton’s First Law (11 weeks)

3.5 Ch 16 – Newton Moves

T&K p 52 – Friction

T&K p 56 – Laws of Motion

3.6 Ch 16 – Newton Moves

3.7 Ch 17 – Fame Finds Newton

Stop Faking It Ch. 1 – Motion Basics

Stop Faking It Ch 2 – Vectors

Stop Faking It Ch 3 – Acceleration

Stop Faking It Ch 4 – Inertia/First Law

Stop Faking It Ch 5 – Inertia/First Law

How Things Work 1.1 – Skating

inertia, force, velocity, acceleration

Zaccaro’s Challenge Math Ch 15 – Distance = speed x time

Zaccaro's Challeng Math CH 18 - Acceleration

Unit F: Gravity, weight & mass (3 weeks)

Stop Faking It Ch 8 – Gravity

Stop Faking It Ch 9 – Weight & Mass

How Things Work 1.2 – Falling Balls

mass, weight, 1st & 2nd laws, projectile motion, vectors

McHenry Inertia of Mass Lab

Unit G: Newton’s 3rd Law, Energy, Work (3 weeks)

Stop Faking It Ch 6 – Net or Unbalanced Force

Stop Faking It Ch 10 – Newton’s 3rd law

How Things Work 1.3 – Ramps

net force, 3rd law, energy, work

Unit H: Newton’s 2nd Law, Center of Mass, Levers (3 weeks)

Stop Faking It Ch. 7 – Newton’s 2nd Law

How Things Work 2.1 – Seesaws

rotational inertia, torque, angular velocity & acceleration, center of mass, levers

McHenry Center of Mass Lab

ZRWA Ch 11: Algebra & Levers

Unit I: LOF Physics Ch. 1-21 (2 weeks)

Unit J: Energy (7 weeks)

How Things Work 2.2 – Wheels

Friction, thermal energy, kinetic energy

How Things Work 2.3 – Momentum, impulse, angular motion, potential energy & acceleration

How Things Work 3.1 – Spring Scales

equilibrium, Hooke’s law, oscillation, calibration, center of gravity

How Things Work 3.2 – bouncing Balls

collisions, energy transfers, vibration, elastic and inelastic collisions

How Things Work 3.3 – Carousels & Roller Coasters

feeling of acceleration, uniform circular motion, centripetal acceleration

How Thing Work 4.1 – Bicycles

unstable equilibrium, static & dynamic stability, precession

How Things Work 4.2 – Rockets & Space Travel

reaction forces, law of gravitation, elliptical orbits, Keplers laws, special & general relativity

Term 2: Physics, part 1: Mechanics & Light/Optics

Texts: Story of Science: Newton at the Center w/ Quest Guides Ch. 12-17

Life of Fred Physics Ch 1-21

How Things Work Ch. 1-4 plus Coursera class online

Labs: T&K Activities

Stop Faking it: Force & Motion

Stop Faking it: Energy

Stop Faking It: Light

Rose

Is this the How Things Work book you will be using?

Thanks!

Kim

Rose

Is this the How Things Work book you will be using?

Thanks!

Kim

Yep, that's the one. It's being used in the Coursera class "How Things Work" which is taught be the author, and is awesome!!! It covers just the first two chapters, on Newton's law's of motion, but I have read that he is planning to make more coursera courses for further sections in the book.

I've actually decided (since posting that plan) to wait to do How Things Work & the Coursera class until 7th grade, and I'm hoping that by then there will be more courses.

I warned y'all that I would be changing my mind! I am back to doing the Astronomy term as described above, then doing the whole book of Story of Science: Newton with the T&K Milestones of Science kit and Ellen McHenry's The Elements in 6th grade, and then doing a more in-depth physics using How Things Work + Stop Faking it books for labs in 7th & 8th grades.

I've been spending a lot of time recently thinking about how I want to do science, and how to use the next 3 years (6th-8th) to prepare for high school. Just got through revising my plan for 6th-8th grades. I haven't dropped anything above, but just re-ordered it.

Yep, that's the one. It's being used in the Coursera class "How Things Work" which is taught be the author, and is awesome!!! It covers just the first two chapters, on Newton's law's of motion, but I have read that he is planning to make more coursera courses for further sections in the book.

I've actually decided (since posting that plan) to wait to do How Things Work & the Coursera class until 7th grade, and I'm hoping that by then there will be more courses.

I warned y'all that I would be changing my mind! I am back to doing the Astronomy term as described above, then doing the whole book of Story of Science: Newton with the T&K Milestones of Science kit and Ellen McHenry's The Elements in 6th grade, and then doing a more in-depth physics using How Things Work + Stop Faking it books for labs in 7th & 8th grades.

I've been spending a lot of time recently thinking about how I want to do science, and how to use the next 3 years (6th-8th) to prepare for high school. Just got through revising my plan for 6th-8th grades. I haven't dropped anything above, but just re-ordered it.

Thanks Rose! I'm doing some physics planning for fall and looking at lots of options. I have the SOS books and the T&K kit. Now I'll look at the How Things Work and Stop Faking It books to see if they will work for us. We have not tried any of the Coursera classes yet, so maybe I will look into that.

Kim