Menu

If you use Saxon 5/4 on up, do you use Saxon before that or what do you use?

I have a 6th grader starting saxon 76 and a 4th grader in saxon 54.

For the first, we used saxon all the way through.

We didn't do the meeting book or a lot of the extra stuff in the teachers manual.

He totally got the lessons and it was great for him.

For my second son, we used saxon k, 1 and 2.

He struggled with all of the content in 3 while trying to memorize his multiplication tables.

Girl, we had them memorized forward and backwards 3 (seriously!!!!) times.

Then, he would go back to the worksheets to do some adding problems, then figure out the time on a clock, and BAM he had no idea what 4x4 was anymore.

I almost had a nervous breakdown, seriously.

I bought Math-it and he got it.

We went back to saxon 3.

Again, he had no idea how to multiply.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!:tongue_smilie:

I sold Math-it and decided to try another curriculum and see if it helped.

I bought Modern Curriculum Press book C.

He got it immediately and finished the entire book in the 1/2 school year remaining.

It covered everything that he needed to know to prep for saxon 54, imo.

We skipped all of the pages on calculator work.

I think it's totally unnecessary, bc I won't let him use one.

He's loving saxon 54, says it's "easy".

Thank you, Jesus~:tongue_smilie:

It all depends on the kid.

What I learned: don't try to make a curriculum fit everyone. it'll only make you cry...... LOL

Hope this helps!

Dawanna

My oldest, now 18 used Horizons for K-1st grade. Then abeka till 3rd..... then moved to Saxon 54 and he used it till pre alg. ( with a temporary Math u see diversion that was good and then not so much and we went back to tried and true Saxon)

My middle child now 16 used Horizons K-1st then abeka in 2nd moving to Saxon 3 and moving on through. Also a math u see diversion only to go back to what we knew.

My youngest now (12 next month) has only used Saxon and she is a head of her game a little. She will begin Teaching textbooks pre alg. She went from Saxon K-76.

I have always let my kids choose the odd or even numbers per lesson. If they miss more than 2 on a lesson, they do the opposite the next day. So lesson 1 odd numbers. If they missed 3, they would cover lesson 1 even numbers the following day. That has only happened to RyLee one time.... my youngest... I kid you not. Shawn and Christian a few times.....

I also supplement with the key to series and work booksand then from (3-6) use cuesinare rods and work books like " from here to there with cuisenaire rods, everything is coming up fractions, and others form the same company.

We love Teaching Textbooks for the older grades because I no longer have to teach. Although my middle child the 16 year old will use Professor B math this year for Alg. This is a huge switch for us, but she needs to learn a fact concretely then move on. This will help with that.

I used Saxon with my oldest from 5th grade through Alg 2.

Now that I'm homeschooling my younger, I'm using it for 2nd and 3rd.

I've been looking through the teacher's guide, and I am remembering all over again why I love Saxon so much! I cannot wait to start!

I used Math-It untill we were ready for Saxon 54. It was a smooth transition -and my DS did well in the Saxon last year.

This is what we did, too. I wouldn't say it was a smooth transition (there was an initial reluctance to copy down all the problems) but we got through it just fine. Mathematically, they were very well prepared for Saxon 5/4 - in fact, the first half of the book was too easy for them.

I've read before at how different they are and so I'm just wondering what for those that use Saxon 5/4 on up, do you use it for your younger children also.

Thank you,

Phlox

Hi,

I've used Saxon with mine as long as I've afterschooled/homeschooled. I also use Singapore for variety and to encourage problem solving.

My daughter tested at Saxon 6/5 at the end of second grade, but I'm keeping her in Saxon 5/4 for the time being. I want her to feel confident and not push her too hard. She finished Saxon 3 and Singapore 2B last year. (For second grade).

Saxon 3 does get challenging towards the end. She was learning square roots, graphing on a coordinate plane and identifying a function rule already. 5/4 does look easier. It has lots of review. I did see some new things,though.

Saxon 5/4 looks more like a typical Math book than the previous levels. There's no meeting book, but I haven't been using that much anyway with my 5 year old who has nearly completed Saxon Math 1.

The transition has not been hard in my daughter's case.

In my experiences teaching math, if you as the teacher understand the material well and are not afraid of it, your student will pick it up easier and feel more confident. It is always good if you can draw a picture or have a manipulative on hand to make it more interesting.

Hope that helps.

:)

I've read before at how different they are and so I'm just wondering what for those that use Saxon 5/4 on up, do you use it for your younger children also.

Thank you,

Phlox

Hi,

I've used Saxon with mine as long as I've afterschooled/homeschooled. I also use Singapore for variety and to encourage problem solving.

My daughter tested at Saxon 6/5 at the end of second grade, but I'm keeping her in Saxon 5/4 for the time being. I want her to feel confident and not push her too hard. She finished Saxon 3 and Singapore 2B last year. (For second grade).

Saxon 3 does get challenging towards the end. She was learning square roots, graphing on a coordinate plane and identifying a function rule already. 5/4 does look easier. It has lots of review. I did see some new things,though.

Saxon 5/4 looks more like a typical Math book than the previous levels. There's no meeting book, but I haven't been using that much anyway with my 5 year old who has nearly completed Saxon Math 1.

The transition has not been hard in my daughter's case.

In my experiences teaching math, if you as the teacher understand the material well and are not afraid of it, your student will pick it up easier and feel more confident. It is always good if you can draw a picture or have a manipulative on hand to make it more interesting.

Hope that helps.

:)