Menu

Has anyone here taken an AoPS class as an adult?

I am thinking that I would like to take an AoPS course for a few reasons. It would help me understand whether the online courses would be appropriate for my son in terms of format and pacing. It would also help me be more qualified to facilitate any AoPS work my son might do in the future (either online or independently with the books). And I might just finally get the math education I never had!

So have any of you done this?

The only reason I haven't done it is because of money. I plan to do it as soon as I get the money. I enjoy the Alcumus immensely and would like to eventually have the entire AoPS curriculum for my private use and reference. I would like to work through their books a little to get a better idea of what class to jump in to.

Well, I'm working through the books with my son, and taking a few of the classes alongside him. Right now he (we) have only done some of the contest prep classes. I hope to do all of the classes that don't have books (Int. NT, Olympiad Geometry, Mathematical Tapas, Group Theory, WOOT). My son is probably a year away from taking the classes so I'll just have to wait.

I've been doing the books (PreAlgebra, Intro to C&P, Algebra, Geometry) and will be doing Geometry alongside dd. I expect to continue doing the same as long as she continues with AoPS. I don't know if I'd pay for classes for me, though I really love math and AoPS :)

Oh, just to be clear, I have my doubts about the pace also. I feel like I could keep up with the PreAlgebra and Intro Algebra classes since I've been exposed to much of that material before, but I would rather work through the book on my own, then take the class, so that I can check my understanding and participate with other math fans.