Menu

Elimiation diet woes...help!

Tap

I have been having an food reaction for a while and needed the allergiest's help to isolate some likely culprits.

I know tomato will cause a symptom flare up for me, but there is still something else causing a problem. I get a scalded/itchy feeling in my mouth and cancer-like-sores that heal in two days (so they are not traditional cancer sores).

After testing today this is what I reacted to:

Milk

Egg

Peanut

Cashew

Shrimp

Salmon

Corn

Potato

Sesame seed.

I also need to eliminate all nightshades, specifically:

tomato

eggplant

peppers

cayenne

Tomatillos

She wants me to try a 3 week elimination then adding in each item in 3 day increments. Help!!!! Aside from salads and stirfry, I can't think of much to cook.

We eat a lot of italian and mexican foods, so this is going to require a radical change. Is there a recipe website like allrecipes that allow you to eliminate foods by allergan? I know you can do this somewhat with allrecipes but I hate to elimate every recipe that has something like a splash of milk in it, when often it can just be left out or subsituted.

If you know any cook books that will help or have a recipe that will work for me, plese post it. :drool5: 3 weeks is going to be a very, very long time without these foods in our house.

Keep it simple. :) Grilled meat (chicken, beef or pork), rice or quinoa (I think quinoa is safe on your list), veggies or salad.

Season with whatever you can tolerate, lemon pepper, italian seasonings (like Mrs. Dash), curry, etc.

It looks overwhelming, but you can do it. :)

OK... So look at what you can eat.

You still have all the grains other than corn, including rice, so that means that breads, cereals, tortillas and noodles are still on the table. You've got all the non-seafood meats - beef, chicken, lamb, pork, etc - so you still have all the steaks, chops, roasts, kebabs, etc. You have most veggies - lettuces, kale, broccoli, califlower, squash, zuccinni, and so on.

Mexican? Fajitas with grilled onions and zuccini. Burritos with grilled steak, rice, and refired beans. Tacos.

Italian? Pasta with olive oil is delicious, especially with grilled chicken strips. Meatballs too.

Stuffed Pork Chops, Pulled Pork sandwiches, Roast beef with fluffy warm biscuits and steamed caultiflower.

And almond milk makes a really nice substitute for most milk in cooking.

Non-dairy milk can be subbed in most recipes without too big of a problem.

1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed mixed with 3 Tbsp. cold water and left to gel for 10 min can substitute in many recipes for egg

Sweet potatoes or parsnips can often be substituted for white potatoes

Thanks for the ideas I really appreciate it.

It is just hard to change every item on our normal menu.

Take tonights menu or last nights and I pretty much ended up being able eat only the veggies.

Last night...teriaki chicken (seasame oil), chicken fried rice (egg), stir fried veg.

Tonight..BBQ chicken (tomato), pasta with a cream sauce (milk), beets, tossed salad

Tomorrow...potato soup with corn bread (potatoes, milk,corn, egg) I guess I will have to make a second dinner for me.

:willy_nilly:

I am exhausted trying to think about it. I just don't want to. I expected the potato, tomato, peppers.Corn and nuts aren't a surprise (I already know I am allergic to hazelnuts and almonds). I didn't expect egg or milk. Hopefully they are false positives that will be taken care of with the elimination diet.

:grouphug:

I make separate allergy meals for me every day. The children now make their own breakfast daily and will often make their own lunch. Sometimes my husband or daughter will make dinner. My son has even made dinner twice!!

When they were 2 and 5 until they were 4 and 7, my husband had a job where he could almost never cook dinner and I made at least 5 meals a day, it was very tiring. They snacked sometimes, too, it seemed like I was always cooking or serving food.

Tonight was venison, avocados, and teff flour. Tomorrow is quail, squash, and potatoes. I stopping losing as many foods when I went on a strict rotation diet, but it is a pain.

It is easier to just eat simply and do not worry too much about recipes, especially when you are trying to find out what is causing a reaction. Grill or bake or fry your meat, serve with a simply made starch and veggie and fruit. Eating the food on a rotation basis makes it easier to find foods that are causing a reaction.

I realize it takes a few days to adjust, but it might be easier to make the same meal for everyone (or make adjustments for yours). Leave the bbq sauce off your chicken, use egg-less noodles and season yours with a smal amount of oil and spices, for example. Scoop some of the stir fry rice out before adding egg to it. If you decide to make your stuff separate - bulk cook and freeze some things so it's easy to do. It IS hard but your health is important. Just take a few days at a time. Go through your pantry and figure out meals for the next three days. Soon it will be second nature. :)

Thanks for the ideas I really appreciate it.

It is just hard to change every item on our normal menu.

Take tonights menu or last nights and I pretty much ended up being able eat only the veggies.

Last night...teriaki chicken (seasame oil), chicken fried rice (egg), stir fried veg.

Tonight..BBQ chicken (tomato), pasta with a cream sauce (milk), beets, tossed salad

Tomorrow...potato soup with corn bread (potatoes, milk,corn, egg) I guess I will have to make a second dinner for me.

:willy_nilly:

I am exhausted trying to think about it. I just don't want to. I expected the potato, tomato, peppers.Corn and nuts aren't a surprise (I already know I am allergic to hazelnuts and almonds). I didn't expect egg or milk. Hopefully they are false positives that will be taken care of with the elimination diet.

Do you make your own teriyaki sauce? Most recipes I've seen don't have sesame oil or it can be left out easily.

Chicken fried rice is extremely easy to make with out the egg.

http://notjustglutenfree.blogspot.com/2011/03/no-tomato-bbq-sauce.html A tomato less bbq sauce - you will need to leave out the cayenne pepper but the recipe notes that it tastes good without it.

Make the cream sauce with oat or rice milk instead.

Make another kind of soup. And use a different kind of bread.