Menu

American Indian books

My son is very interested in American Indians (or Native Americans...whatever you prefer... smiley2.gif ). He is even more interested after our recent trip to Jamestown. I am looking for books to read as part of school and for him to look at on his own. I usually let him follow his passions on his own because then he stays interested and really digs into a subject.

I would love to have one living book with chapters about different tribes that we could read once or twice a week during Morning Basket. I would also love some biographies of famous American Indians and picture books. Even fiction would be great! Just let me know your favorite Native American books. I searched and couldn't find any previous posts like this, but if you find any I would appreciate you posting those as well! Thanks a lot!

My favorite picture book biographies were Sequoyah: The Cherokee Man Who Gave His People Writing, and Sacagawea by Lise Erdrich.

I’ve been wanting a good kids book with chapters on the tribes. The closest thing I can think of that you might like is Do All Indians Live in Tipis?: Questions and Answers from the National Museum of the American Indian. It isn’t by tribe, but it might have answers to any questions kids might have. And it is way cheaper than the other one I’ve been thinking about getting—Native America in the Twentieth Century: An Encyclopedia. It is actually something I’d really want, but it is an expensive reference book.

'Standing in the Light' is a Dear America book about a Quaker girl who was captured by Lenape Indians in 1763. The book is based on a true story; IRL, the girl went on to fight for Indian rights. Author is Mary Pope Osborne. Truly a beautiful book. Oh, the girl has a young brother who is also captured -- your ds should like.

David Shannon has illustrated several NA stories - the Rough-Face Girl is one of the best known.

Look for books by Paul Goble, whose illustrated retellings of Indian folk tales are superb.

Virginia Driving Hawk has picture books about various tribes, plus 'Dancing Teepees,' a book of poetry.

Bonnie Kalman has excellent illustrated books about various tribes.

Anything by Joseph Bruhac -- his best known is the Keepers of the Earth series.

(Sorry no italics for titles -iPad)

We did a whole unit study on Native Americans and their tribes and cultures, it was WONDERFUL. You really could study an entire year(s). I don't have my book list, it seems there was one on these forums that I used for a jumping point....maybe I can find it.

The Indian Book (terrible name, and OOP) is an excellent source. We used it as a spine when studying Native Americans last year. Each chapter is about a tribe in a different part of the western hemisphere (they have tribes from the Caribbean, Mexico, South America in addition to 9 from North America). It has lots of pictures, and describes the history of the tribe and their ways, and includes one of their legends.

I just picked up Sitting Bull, Dakota Boy from the Childhood of Famous Americans series, so Ariel will read that at some point. It seems pretty well written. She also liked Om-Kas-Toe, Clamshell Boy, Morning Girl, The Corn Grows Ripe, and Tikta'Liktak. There's also the "If You Lived With..." series. We used the Hopi, Indians of the Northwest Coast, and Cherokee books. Other choices that I haven't personally reviewed but have seen recommended: Island of the Blue Dolphins, Night Bird, The Birchbark House, Hiawatha, Secret of the Andes, Naya Nuki, Squanto Friend of the Pilgrims, and Pocahontas and the Strangers.

The Indian Book (terrible name, and OOP) is an excellent source. We used it as a spine when studying Native Americans last year. Each chapter is about a tribe in a different part of the western hemisphere (they have tribes from the Caribbean, Mexico, South America in addition to 9 from North America). It has lots of pictures, and describes the history of the tribe and their ways, and includes one of their legends.

I just picked up Sitting Bull, Dakota Boy from the Childhood of Famous Americans series, so Ariel will read that at some point. It seems pretty well written. She also liked Om-Kas-Toe, Clamshell Boy, Morning Girl, The Corn Grows Ripe, and Tikta'Liktak. There's also the "If You Lived With..." series. We used the Hopi, Indians of the Northwest Coast, and Cherokee books. Other choices that I haven't personally reviewed but have seen recommended: Island of the Blue Dolphins, Night Bird, The Birchbark House, Hiawatha, Secret of the Andes, Naya Nuki, Squanto Friend of the Pilgrims, and Pocahontas and the Strangers.

:iagree: with the bolded. I just picked this up used from Amazon. I actually owned it as a child. It went with my Childcraft encyclopedia set (which I still have), but this book was missing. It is a really, really wonderful resource. Especially to use as a spine.