Menu

Anyone NOT like AAR for reading...is it necessary to move so slow

Now..I am using this with a 7 year old who is reading but not real good yet. We are going through Level 1 pretty quickly, half way done. I just am wondering if this is going too slow? I will be using AAS so I wonder if we would do better to go through something like Alpha Phonics and then use AAS for spelling?

Thanks,

Kim

we pretty much flew through it (a lesson a day, for the most part, sometimes 2 a day if he REALLY wanted to read the story), but my son kind of needed the "push" it gave into blending sounds. we've moved on to 100 EZ, and he's doing great, though i wonder if i should have gone with OPGTR, since it goes further and my son loves the structure of having a reading "lesson" everyday.

I haven't used AAR, but I thought AAS was awfully slow. It's great for a struggling kid, but not every kid needs an O-G program.

I really like Phonics Pathways for reading. For $20, I have all I need to teach reading, and both kids using it like it.

I use R&S for spelling. It gets done!

we did both (well, we're doing AAS level 1 now, and finished AAR level one maybe 4-6 months ago?).

Anyways, reading words and spelling words are two different skills, so i wouldn't worry about doing both (plus, the next level(s) of AAR won't be out soon enough for you to complete that program, so you won't be running them concurrently for toooo long). So far it hasn't been an issue doing AAS in addition to AAR. you probably can start AAS about halfway through level 1? i'm sure there's a thread somewhere on which lesson, specifically, would match up.

It has been a great fit for us but every child is different. We do every part of every lesson, every word of the fluency pages. It is a lot, but the pace has been perfect for my ds. Just when I think we need to stall, he will grasp the skill during the fluency pages and we move right along.

Well...I think the part I don't like is I dread getting it out, I dread the fluency sheets (although these have gotten better by letting him highlight the ones he does and only doing so many word/sentences on each page). Going over the word cards etc... It is just starting to feel like a LOT. What we did today is went through a few lessons of Alpha Phonics, which was a really good match, actually, just for something different. I think maybe I need to just skip some things every once in a while. Of course the Alpha Phonics probably worked so well because of the work we have done in AAR 1 though :) I think I will just modify for now and not do everything until he really needs to.

Well...I think the part I don't like is I dread getting it out, I dread the fluency sheets (although these have gotten better by letting him highlight the ones he does and only doing so many word/sentences on each page). Going over the word cards etc... It is just starting to feel like a LOT. What we did today is went through a few lessons of Alpha Phonics, which was a really good match, actually, just for something different. I think maybe I need to just skip some things every once in a while. Of course the Alpha Phonics probably worked so well because of the work we have done in AAR 1 though :) I think I will just modify for now and not do everything until he really needs to.

It is a lot! For us it was getting painful so we put it away. We are using Phonics Pathways and it is working sooooo much better for us. I am still using the AAR readers.

We love AAR here, but I wouldn't recommend it for every child learning to read. My DS was struggling with reading and really needs a step-by-step approach. If my son was flying through the program, I may look elsewhere such as OPGTR or Phonics Pathways. Much cheaper approach and complete programs.

My DD responds really well to AAR. I purposely slow it down because of her cognitive/expressive language delays. Fluency sheets might take us a few days as she can handle only so much at a time. I also use ETC with it and her reading is coming along nicely.

Susie

DD(7) Turning "8" Sunday

I thought I'd put this out there for those looking for a curriculum that moves a but more quickly. - I really wanted to get AAR 1, but for some reason I bought LOE Foundations whn it came out for beta testing. (Could I already be a curriculum junkie).

Anyways, we are really enjoying it. There is always some sort of game (physical or card game), phonological exercises (oral or worksheets), it includes handwriting (but you can use your own). You can do handwriting on whiteboard, sensory material, or paper. Basically each day is a lesson. The 1st 6 lessons work on phonological exercises (orally blending and segmenting words) and learning handwriting strokes to "build" phonograms later. Lesson 6 starts on learning phonograms (1 a day - ALL the sounds) writing them and continuing with phonological exercises. At lesson 21 you keep learning new phonograms and you start learning words by reading and spelling. These are mostly CVC words but by lesson 25 you start teaching starting and ending blends (st, dr,tr,mp, sn, etc). We are at lesson 30 and my ds read words like stomp, drop, snap, trip. In some of the reading exercises/games there will be words that you have not worked on together yet (spelling/reading together) but your child will have learned the skills they need to sound it out.

By lesson 40 you will have learned all the sounds of the alphabet phonograms, then you start learning the multi-letter phonograms. So far there have not been any fluency sheets, there is a review lesson every 5 lessons.

So far there are 110 lessons, I'm don't know how many there will be. I believe the final version will be available at the end of the month. I'm pretty sure it covers the material through AAR 2 and possibly more.

I am planning on buying the AAR readers, they look lovely. And yes I still get AAR urges.

I thought I'd put this out there for those looking for a curriculum that moves a but more quickly. - I really wanted to get AAR 1, but for some reason I bought LOE Foundations whn it came out for beta testing. (Could I already be a curriculum junkie).

Anyways, we are really enjoying it. There is always some sort of game (physical or card game), phonological exercises (oral or worksheets), it includes handwriting (but you can use your own). You can do handwriting on whiteboard, sensory material, or paper. Basically each day is a lesson. The 1st 6 lessons work on phonological exercises (orally blending and segmenting words) and learning handwriting strokes to "build" phonograms later. Lesson 6 starts on learning phonograms (1 a day - ALL the sounds) writing them and continuing with phonological exercises. At lesson 21 you keep learning new phonograms and you start learning words by reading and spelling. These are mostly CVC words but by lesson 25 you start teaching starting and ending blends (st, dr,tr,mp, sn, etc). We are at lesson 30 and my ds read words like stomp, drop, snap, trip. In some of the reading exercises/games there will be words that you have not worked on together yet (spelling/reading together) but your child will have learned the skills they need to sound it out.

By lesson 40 you will have learned all the sounds of the alphabet phonograms, then you start learning the multi-letter phonograms. So far there have not been any fluency sheets, there is a review lesson every 5 lessons.

So far there are 110 lessons, I'm don't know how many there will be. I believe the final version will be available at the end of the month. I'm pretty sure it covers the material through AAR 2 and possibly more.

I am planning on buying the AAR readers, they look lovely. And yes I still get AAR urges.

That's what I'm planning to switch to when they finally release it!

I would like to say though...I have several children all doing school, several who need my help with this or that, a 5 year old doing AAR Pre (which I like)...if I had one child or just one who NEEDED more help with reading I would absolutely use AAR!! So..for the person wanting to use it my thing is the time thing not the program itself!! I am wanting to get him really reading good and he doesn't seem to struggle and also is using Reading Eggs online soo....

Thanks everyone!

• 4 months later...