Menu

Pneumonia - tips?

Spryte

Any one have tips for caring for someone with pneumonia? Especially an older someone?

My mother is visiting, and has developed pneumonia. :( This after both kids were very sick for the past 2 weeks. Yikes. We've had flu, strep, bronchitis, and now pneumonia in our house recently.

She is on antibiotics, steroids, inhalers, etc - everything the doc could offer. I'm mostly looking for comfort tips, or just any ideas to make her feel especially cared for and comforted.

She is very weak, and walking to/from even the bathroom wears her out. A friend suggested that she needs electrolyte drinks because she is older (early 70s)... So we are doing those, mixed half and half with water.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Nutritious soup and plenty of those. The antibiotics, steriods, inhalers can wipe even a usually healthy adult out.

A comfy chair/armchair near to the bathroom would help for her to relax in and shorter walk to the bathroom. Magazines or whatever reading materials she like to read for leisure.

That's a good idea! If this snow ever stops, I'll hit the library. Right now she's too tired to hold up a book. :(

Maybe I'll download an audiobook for her, if she's up to it.

Wish I could do something to make her feel better. She is so weak. And the coughing... Oh my.

I don't have any good suggestions, but I wanted to send you a :grouphug:

I hope your mom feels better soon.

Thank you. :)

She usually seems invincible, so it's really hard to see her sick this way.

I'm glad she's with us, though, rather than alone and far away. This way at least I can baby her.

Thank you. :)

She usually seems invincible, so it's really hard to see her sick this way.

I'm glad she's with us, though, rather than alone and far away. This way at least I can baby her.

Thank goodness she's with you -- she might have ended up in the hospital if she'd been alone.

What about a humidifier? A sippy cup is good if she needs to keep a drink in bed next to her. It is hard to reach the bedside table when you are feeling yucky and it is hard to drink a lot at once, so having something right next to you in bed might help. Sometimes, if you are really tired, listening to music is easier entertainment than listening to a story, or listening to a radio program like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Can she get those on her iPhone? A hot water bottle is sometimes comforting. A basin next to her in case she throws up when she coughs hard (some in my family do) might be a comfort. A chair to sit in on the way to the bathroom, for a little rest, might be nice. Is she "leaking" when she coughs? Maybe you can tactfully enquire. A bird feeder out her window might be entertaining, or if you have fish, a tank where she can watch is entertaining, if you don't have enough energy to read. When she's a bit better and has more energy, sudoku or crossword puzzles can be nice. Flowers near her bed might make her feel loved. When I was really sick, my husband gave me a heated mattress pad, a down puff (lighter than blankets), and a mobile of some pretty birds for Christmas. I spent hours looking at the mobile. A friend said when she was really sick, she read Calvin and Hobbs comics. She only had the energy for a few a day but they were something to think about the rest of the day as she dozed.

Nan

Another thing that came to my mind was that the steriods, antibiotics and inhalers left a bad taste in the mouth. And the timing of the medicine have to be taken note of. I had to take medicine an hour after food because I would puke otherwise. I had relatives who recovered from Pneumonia and TB. Lots of chicken soup cooked with garlic and ginger also helps.

My ds15 and dh have pneumonia right now. Ds is still sleeping far more than he's awake after 2 weeks. We've had to change antibiotics once because the first one wasn't dealing with the infection. I'm concerned about pleurisy at this point, but I think they're both recovering now. One thing both of them have commented on is being sensitive to the other kids noise. It's just too much. I've tried to make sure that the youngers are outside more to run off energy and I've catered to them being in their rooms more to avoid the noise. And yes, I've warned the guys to not be hugging, wiggling and chatting too much. I've put them to reading a lot.

And while going to the bathroom may be exhausting, it is a chance to get the circulation going. I tell my ds that I want him drinking enough to go every hour. What he actually drinks is a compromise.

Nan, Arcadia... Thanks. Practical tips that I can implement are so helpful! Looking for a chicken soup recipe now, and I am going to take her a sippy cup, Nan, and see if she laughs. I think she'll appreciate it.

And Punks... :grouphug: You have two of them! Oh my. I told my mom what you mentioned, about the noise, and she just nodded. I'd worried about that quite a bit, and she had denied it being a problem... but I think she's ready to admit it's draining. I am sending the kids out to play and burn off some energy. She's been on abx for two days, and no improvement thus far. I read to give it at least 3 days, so we're giving it that much time, but how did you know when to switch abx?

After going back in forth over the pizza tipping thread I had my mind on tipping and when I read this title I thought "what, she wants to be tipped for pneumonia?!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I think I should put a tip jar out for caring for all the sickies in this house!

Ds seemed to be improving about 2 days after starting the first abx, then started feeling worse. We waited 5 days just because of the weekend. Dh went in at that point since we were suspicious. It's been 3 days on the new meds. Both says they're coughing less and breathing is easier. BTW they are the two in the family with asthma. I've been ready to take them to emerg if they have any signs of respiratory distress that the inhalers aren't able to deal with. If these meds don't help, it's likely viral pneumonia.

Oddly enough both have gone back to work yesterday. Dh was never quite as sick and ds only worked 2-3 hour days then slept most of the rest of the day. Both said that while they didn't feel like moving, it did help. I don't think that would be a good idea for your mom though. :001_smile: Wed. was the first day the ds was alert enough to do simple schoolwork.

Hugs to your mom. (only if she's feeling well enough to enjoy them.) A week will make a big difference for her!

i found that i could sleep only with my head and chest elevated, so double/triple pillows were wonderful. having music she loves playing in her room will help drown out the household noise. popsicles were wonderful, as was jello.

mostly i was so tired that breathing took all the energy i had.

A week will make a big difference for her!

I will pass that along! She will be happy to hear that a week will make a big difference. She is raring to go, she's always on the road traveling, and she's ready to hop in the car and drive 5 hours to her home, and her own bed. Then she needs a nap after a bowl of soup and a bathroom break, and says she's glad to be here. :)

Elfgivas, I had forgotten about jello. I will make some. Popsicles are good, though she *really* wants ice cream and dairy, and that doesn't seem to be a great idea at the moment. We're thinking cutting dairy would be better. Maybe jello will cut some of that craving.

I might try elevating her mattress a bit, as well as the pillows...

You ladies are the best, thanks!

I will pass that along! She will be happy to hear that a week will make a big difference. She is raring to go, she's always on the road traveling, and she's ready to hop in the car and drive 5 hours to her home, and her own bed. Then she needs a nap after a bowl of soup and a bathroom break, and says she's glad to be here. :)

Elfgivas, I had forgotten about jello. I will make some. Popsicles are good, though she *really* wants ice cream and dairy, and that doesn't seem to be a great idea at the moment. We're thinking cutting dairy would be better. Maybe jello will cut some of that craving.

I might try elevating her mattress a bit, as well as the pillows...

You ladies are the best, thanks!

I don't blame her about the wanting icecream and dairy. I wanted custard when I was sick (not pneumonia). Maybe she would like sorbet better than popcycles? Or sherbet? Or fudgicles? Or those Dole fruit bars? Or fruit slush? We make that by putting some juice, lots of frozen berries, and some apple in the blender. You can put in a banana, but we don't happen to like the texture when we do. How about apple sauce? That is a popular invalid food here. So is cinnamon toast.

Nan

I don't blame her about the wanting icecream and dairy. I wanted custard when I was sick (not pneumonia). Maybe she would like sorbet better than popcycles? Or sherbet? Or fudgicles? Or those Dole fruit bars? Or fruit slush? We make that by putting some juice, lots of frozen berries, and some apple in the blender. You can put in a banana, but we don't happen to like the texture when we do. How about apple sauce? That is a popular invalid food here. So is cinnamon toast.

Nan

Oh, these are great ideas! Thanks! Cinnamon toast would definitely make her happy. :) And I'll do some fruit slush, too.

It's funny, after 3 weeks of sick people in the house, you'd think I'd have this down, but really it seems like my head is just getting fuzzier and fuzzier and I can't think straight to come up with the most basic ideas. This is so helpful.

: ) Cinnamon toast is indeed a happy thing.

Canned fruit is also considered an invalid food here. Some of the family likes pinapple, some like fruit coctail, and others like canned peaches and apricots. Some people like dropped egg on toast.

Frozen peaches are good in the slushes. If you use frozen raspberries, it helps to drink it with a straw so you can avoid the seeds that tend to sink to the bottom of the cup.

Nursing is hard work. I'm not surprised if you are having trouble thinking of ideas.

Nan