Menu

Secular online class providers?

Lukeion has had some workshops on religious topics; I think they had an Easter workshop last year. But I've not noticed anything other than classical focused Latin in the Latin course. Lukeion also has some literature courses and grammar courses.

Oklahoma State University German Online (and I assume Spanish Online) is secular.

DD is in her second year of high school Mandarin at CTY Online. I cannot recommend highly enough her teacher and the program, which uses a book specifically designed for CTY. It is a lot of work -- classes meet 2X per week online with additional private lessons 2X per week with the teacher and a TA respectively. The work is not "busy work" but is necessary work for helping the students develop basic fluency in speaking and reading. The text, which follows the adventures of college students in Beijing, is very appealing to the hs age group. There is an additional class that focuses on character writing.

Lukeion for Latin.

The Potters School French, while it uses a religious text, hasn't been an issue for us (we aren't religious). Dd just does her best on the chapter exercises, and when something comes up, she says she isn't religlious. She hasn't had any problems, but would rather not have the religion there.

Writing: BlueTentOnline, LaurelTreeTutorials, Write at Home

I'm searching for a secular US History class that isn't AP. It doesn't seem to exist. Sigh. This is one of those classes that will 'get pushed aside' if we do it here at home, so I would love to outsource it. I really, really wish there were more secular online options for classes.

History at Our House is secular; we are using it at the elementary and junior high levels.

Lukeion for Latin.

The Potters School French, while it uses a religious text, hasn't been an issue for us (we aren't religious). Dd just does her best on the chapter exercises, and when something comes up, she says she isn't religlious. She hasn't had any problems, but would rather not have the religion there.

Writing: BlueTentOnline, LaurelTreeTutorials, Write at Home

I'm searching for a secular US History class that isn't AP. It doesn't seem to exist. Sigh. This is one of those classes that will 'get pushed aside' if we do it here at home, so I would love to outsource it. I really, really wish there were more secular online options for classes.

You might want to look at Debra Bell's Aim Academy for history. They have pre-AP level. There are two different choices for textbooks, a prep for CLEP, and a survey course. Details are on the teachers website.