Menu

I need help with curriculum for my son (Chemistry). Can you help?

I am trying to help my 16 y.o. son who is struggling in school with Science. Like he studies for hours, and still fails the test. He is a bright boy, but I think he has some processing issues. I know he is an auditory learner.

I need something that I can use with him over the summer break, to introduce him to chemistry before he takes it next school year. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you so much,

Pamela

Wow, that is amazing! They have chemistry and physics! And they even have print materials. It looks like the teacher materials are only provided for a school, but that looks awesome. Could that be a complete high school chemistry course? Thank you so much for sharing.

Wow, that is amazing! They have chemistry and physics! And they even have print materials. It looks like the teacher materials are only provided for a school, but that looks awesome. Could that be a complete high school chemistry course? Thank you so much for sharing.

They have allowed access in the past. Send an email as instructed on the teacher print materials link, and explain that you are a homeschooler that wants to use their materials. If they still allow homeschoolers to use the teacher materials, they will explain what you need to do.

You'll still want other labs. The ones they do rely on the local teacher, and many are geared for full-class work. If you search this forum, you'll find lots of discussions on labs.

I emailed for the teacher materials recently. It took over a month to receive a reply from gpb. It was very polite but the gist is if you are not in Georgia and I think at a public school you need to buy a dvd on amazon. Something about how the programming was funded. Each one contains 2 episodes. $29 I believe the cost was. They will send you the answers to both courses with proof of that purchase from amazon.

Ellen McHenry's courses are great confidence building basics. I am amazed at all the great stuff packed in to those courses and how easy she made it to understand.

I emailed for the teacher materials recently. It took over a month to receive a reply from gpb. It was very polite but the gist is if you are not in Georgia and I think at a public school you need to buy a dvd on amazon. Something about how the programming was funded. Each one contains 2 episodes. $29 I believe the cost was. They will send you the answers to both courses with proof of that purchase from amazon.

I see. So, you can watch the videos for free online but they will not give you answers? Then PLATO is sounding more attractive. It is $50 for a course right now at Homeschool Buyers" Coop. Automatically graded quizzes, lots of visual and auditory content.

I see. So, you can watch the videos for free online but they will not give you answers? Then PLATO is sounding more attractive. It is $50 for a course right now at Homeschool Buyers" Coop. Automatically graded quizzes, lots of visual and auditory content.

You do get all the answers if you buy one dvd but I think the $50 sounds like a better deal. Quizes etc are good.:)

Note that at PLATO there is both a middle school physical science class (chemistry + physics) as well as a high school chemistry class. The first might be a nice way to build his confidence, and it is fewer than 20 lessons. Several posters have said their middle schoolers completed that course in less than a semester.

I bought the teacher's dvd directly from Georgia public broadcasting in August, and I am not in Georgia. It was around $40 I think. I called instead of emailing, and I got it the next week. So it might depend on who you talk to. The teacher's dvd is packed, it has worksheets, quizzes, tests, lesson plans, etc. It is not an honors course or anything, but it does cover most of basic high school chemistry.

Hi Pamela,

I don't know if you saw the big high school chemistry thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/453617-homeschool-high-school-chemistry/

I tried (with help from The Hive :)) to put together a little bit of info for most of the homeschool high school chem programs out there.

Are you looking for your son to get a high school chem credit or just have him pick up a little background in chem?