Menu

Canadians -- What's it like ordering from Rainbow Resource?

The shipping for my order (about $250) I think was going to be over $80... needless to say, I had it sent to a friend's house in Michigan!

Eeek! That's what I'm afraid of!

But I'm afraid I'm losing my equivalent of a friend in Michigan, and I'm getting desperate to get some of those great resources. Anyone else actually gone through the process of getting an order into Canada?

There are lots of places that will receive packages for you on the US side of the border, walk them across, and mail them to you. Customs Brokers, I think they are called. I do not know what the rates are, but they will do it for you, and I understand people do it because it is cheaper than shipping in some cases.

Also, FWIW, I don't think duty is very high on books.

We use this company. http://www.detroitmailbox.com/prices.html

They receive my packages, I pay a fee per box and pick it up from their office. Usually, I can swing free shipping from most companies and then the cost of paying toll both ways and $5 per box is always much cheaper then having it shipped directly to my home.

Just know that if you go this route, print out your paid invoice from online because we had one company not put an invoice into the box and I had to prove how much I paid for the items when we crossed at customs.

Well, I do order from Rainbow and, yes, it costs a lot for shipping ( $30 for shipping and about $25 for duty) but I have not had good experiences from buying from Can. suppliers so I consider the extra cost worth it just to be able to receive my order within 3 weeks. When I have bought from Can. suppliers, my order is usually back ordered and I have had to wait anywhere from 6weeks to 4 months to get my order. I ordered from one company and never did receive my books yet they still charged my credit card. It took me a year to get that all straightened out. I have never had any problems with RR so I pay the exorbitant shipping charges because I know I will get what I ordered in speedy time.

• 6 months later...

I know you didn't ask for an alternative, but if you need some:  CBD and Amazon.ca

When I don't get my books while traveling in the US, I order from Christian Book Distributors and Amazon.ca.  I haven't had a duty issue with CBD, not sure why.  Lots of other people around here use CBD for their church materials and haven't had a problem either.  Maybe they have a fulfillment center in Canada(?).

What I would like to know is where to buy used curriculum in Canada.

There is a fairly active Facebook page where Canadians swap and sell used curriculum called Homeschool Swap: Canada

Yes, I am on that group, (and two on yahoo) thanks!  Just wondering if there is anything else ... (spoiled American adapting to homeschooling in Canada, wishing I could get most of my books inexpensively and/or used).

I've have never paid duty on a RR order but I always buy in small increments over the year. So a $40 package costs me about $12 to have it shipped to Ontario. 

That's good to know!  Yeah!  I haven't ordered from RR since I lived in the states (or at least not without having it delivered to family to be picked up when I visit).

I usually have mine shipped to a relative in the states. Have had one package delivered to my home from RR and had to pay duty on that. CBD has always been pretty good, as well as Amazon.ca. I also like Book Depository (free shipping).

Oh, and for ordering homeschool materials in Canada I really like The Learning House.