Menu

Secular Sonlight?

My girls love to read and they love history. They read a book a week for school and more on their own.

I already have our booklist started for next year. We'll be in year 4 of SOTW, 6th grade.

Looking at Core E though... I love that it is planned out with the vocabulary and other exercises already there. It just seems so streamlined.

Is it worth it to get it and do it secularly? Is that possible?

Or should I just start writing my own version...

I would just write my own especially if you are planning to buy new. That way you can just buy the books you are interested in. I did my own version for a couple of years when we first moved to the UK. Somehow 2 years of American History seemed like a really bad idea. It wasn't as easy as SL but since about half of it was free from the library I felt no guilt when adjustments were needed, if Saxons were dragging badly we wrapped up and moved on. No urges to hang on because I had spent all that money. Those couple of years are actually my kids favorites apparently. I suspect you will end up with a large pile of discards due to Christian content. I just gathered my stack and decided when I wanted my spine books done and went from there.

I'm not sure yet if we'll be using SL or not next year. Not because we don't like it, but another schedule might work in more of the books I want to use. There is also a secular Sonlight yahoo group that you can join to get more advice.

Good luck,

We have used SL in the past, and although I am a Christian and used it as such, it would be easy to "secularize." You could leave out the Bible portions. IMO SL does a great job of representing differing viewpoints, which I enjoyed. It made for great discussion. Currently I use Oak Meadow, which is secular, and I add in my own Bible portion. I think you could make it work. :)

Can it be done? Yes it can be done. I would look carefully at the core, some I purchased as full cores, others I just bought the IG because of the number of books I would be skipping. For Core E look carefully at the books that have been added in the last year or two. I purchased all the remaining IG's in one purchase when it was announced that Sarita would be making changes. If you do go with SL tread carefully on the forums.

ETA- see below post

Yes...it's fairly easy to secularize Sonlight.

We skip the Bible portion -- and there's usually several stories in each Core that are missionary or Christian-based and we just substitute other books

The only core that would be hard to secularize would be Core 200 -- which is Church History -- so I've always just skipped that core and my kids went straight from Core 100 (US History) to Core 300 (20th Century World History)

I've also put together my own Core 99% of the time -- it's fairly easy to find used IGs at used curriculum sales (anywhere from free to $25 or so)...and then I just find the books (online, at curriculum sales, library, etc.) They sell a full core for close to $300 or $400 -- I've pulled mine together, used, for half of that.

That's why, despite the fact that we've used Sonlight for the last 11 years, I don't have access to the Sonlight forums! LOL It only counts if you've bought the program through them. Alas. I have not. :D

I agree about buying an older version of the core you want to do. They'll be cheaper, you can get the books used (and if they're very hard to find used, take that as a sign that they're probably a book you'll want to skip) and you won't feel guilty changing the program. I know that the more I spend on something the more I want to get my money's worth and that's not the best attitude to have when you'll be customizing a prewritten program.

In case you haven't seen it, here's a wonderful, free American history program:

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/americanhistory2/american_history_2_index.html

The author sometimes posts here jenn&charles (I hope I'm getting that right). Her whole site is amazing.

I used to think it was easy but no longer. I would use some of their book suggestions but the new versions seem harder to secularize and by the time we got to core 5/f I was ditching so many books it was just not worth it. and core 6 was just tiresome.

:iagree: I purchased my last complete core last year, the changes then just made it not worth the money to me. I will just purchase item by item now. I also purchased IG's for D&E, not sure I will spend the money on another, they just pushed the price sky high in my opinion. I have never used the LA, and don't care for the student guides at all. Not to mention some of the books that were removed and then included in the revisions of last year. SIGH

I an glad I have held onto older IGs.

I used to think it was easy but no longer. I would use some of their book suggestions but the new versions seem harder to secularize and by the time we got to core 5/f I was ditching so many books it was just not worth it. and core 6 was just tiresome.

:iagree: I purchased my last complete core last year, the changes then just made it not worth the money to me. I will just purchase item by item now. I also purchased IG's for D&E, not sure I will spend the money on another, they just pushed the price sky high in my opinion. I have never used the LA, and don't care for the student guides at all. Not to mention some of the books that were removed and then included in the revisions of last year. SIGH

I an glad I have held onto older IGs.

See that was what I was afraid off once I heard Sarita was making changes. SL may still say they are open to discussions, but Sarita has her own agenda. My IG's are 2010 and before for Cores 100 on down.

OP, I suggest you buy an IG from 2010 or before and then purchase what books you need.

I do secularize SL. I either buy used, or buy the guides and individual books. It's easy to do so. We just skip the Bible and missionary books. For example, we're reading Dove instead of Peace Child for core 100. Their science is mostly secular friendly, but there is YE pushed and Apologia used. We skip that.