Menu

Recs for good, basic book on nutrition?

Peplophoros

We don't have any allergies, and I'm not super-interested in paleo-diets (but will read any well-written, well-researched book about it), but I am growing more and more interested in the current debates about gluten, refined sugar, etc.

What basic books should I read to begin to educate myself about nutrition--one that will encourage me to make my own "food pyramid"?

Gloria

It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig.

http://www.amazon.com/It-Starts-Food-Discover-Unexpected/dp/1936608898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362183591&sr=8-1&keywords=it+starts+with+food

This book taught me SO much. I VERY highly recommend it!

We also do not have allergies, but after doing their Whole 30, I just FEEL better. And the book is written in a way that just plain makes sense of it all. :)

Personally, I like reading/referencing Eat to Live and Crazy Sexy Diet. Fyi, both promote a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle (but discuss modifications for those who want to still include meat/dairy/etc...). Both discuss the background of why they promote these lifestyle changes. Eat to Live is a bit more scientifically-based & more dry to read. Crazy Sexy Diet doesn't always explain all the scientific research behind the discussions but does a good job of explaining why certain things are good/bad in an easy-to-understand, conversational way.

Check your library. Mine carries both of these books.

I really like http://www.amazon.com/Nutrition-Divas-Secrets-Healthy-Diet/dp/0312676417 .

The book is written by a nutritionist who keeps up on the latest research (and not just newspaper headlines!). She shares what the research really means (in practical terms), thinks there is no one-diet-fits-all approach, and trusts that the reader will (with the information at hand in her book) make great decisions.

If you search for Monica Reinagel and/or Nutrition Diva, you'll find a couple of sample chapters from her book plus tons of informative podcasts/blogposts, so you can try before you buy.

HTH,

This is my go to book http://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-What-Eat-Why/dp/1596913428/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362393744&sr=1-1&keywords=real+food+nina+planck.

Real Food promotes organic, grass fed, etc. But not a specific diet. Eat all the fat. It's "radical" in this day and age of low fat. But I've been eating this way as much as possible for 3 years and my cholesterol is awesome! I lost 30 pounds while eating this way. All my numbers say I'm healthy. I feel great!

This is my go to book http://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-What-Eat-Why/dp/1596913428/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362393744&sr=1-1&keywords=real+food+nina+planck.

Real Food promotes organic, grass fed, etc. But not a specific diet. Eat all the fat. It's "radical" in this day and age of low fat. But I've been eating this way as much as possible for 3 years and my cholesterol is awesome! I lost 30 pounds while eating this way. All my numbers say I'm healthy. I feel great!

I second this book. I also liked Nourishing Tradtions, even though I didn't agree with it all.

We don't have any allergies, and I'm not super-interested in paleo-diets (but will read any well-written, well-researched book about it), but I am growing more and more interested in the current debates about gluten, refined sugar, etc.

What basic books should I read to begin to educate myself about nutrition--one that will encourage me to make my own "food pyramid"?

Gloria

This is my go to book http://www.amazon.co...od nina planck.

Gloria, I'm so glad you posted this question. I have been looking for a basic book on nutrition as well. I looked at Real Food and I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon. I really like how basic and informative it is. I didn't see any mention of sugar in the table of contents so I hope the book addresses it. I'm a bit of a sugar addict.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

Gloria, I'm so glad you posted this question. I have been looking for a basic book on nutrition as well. I looked at Real Food and I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon. I really like how basic and informative it is. I didn't see any mention of sugar in the table of contents so I hope the book addresses it. I'm a bit of a sugar addict.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

I just pulled out my book. She doesn't cover sugar by itself. She talks about sugar while she's talking about chocolate. So not a real extensive coverage.

I agree with these. If you are wanting to get into the science of how our bodies treat sugar in all its forms, these are great. Why We Get Fat is a little more on the laymen's terms side, and Good Calories, Bad Calories is heavy on the science.