Menu

Extra Day in NYC?

FLDebbie

I have to travel to NYC in a few weeks for a work meeting. The plan is to go up Monday evening, be in the meeting all day Tuesday, and then fly back home Tuesday evening. I've never been to New York today and I'm contemplating staying an extra day and night to see some sites. I'm really not sure though since I'll have to pay for the extra night in the hotel and food the extra day (we don't have a ton of extra cash lying around) and then will be on my own to sight see the next day rather than with my husband or a friend. Any thoughts? Would you do it? I need to make my reservations by tomorrow COB, so any input would be appreciated.

Not a Chipotle fan, but perhaps I can find a good deli or pizza place (I've heard NY pizza is good). I'm not sure exactly what I'd like to see. Some items that come to mind are the Statue of Liberty (even if it's just from a ferry ride around the island), central park, possibly the Empire State Bldg, 9/11 memorial, and The Metropolitan Museum of Art. I imagine that's too much for one day, so I'll have to prioritize.

9/11 memorial is great. Don't forget to get tickets in advance.

Our favorite cheap place for lunch/dinner is the Halal Guys food cart. Several locations in Manhattan. Any of the food carts are probably decent and cheap.

For breakfast, you can pop into any convenience store or mini-grocery and get a toasted bagel sandwich for very little $.

Do you want to see a show? I know you said you don't have a lot of extra $. But if you are flexible as far as what show to see, you can get nice seats for a big discount at the TKTS booth. (Or if you don't want to do last minute, you can find tickets online for some shows at a discount before you head to NYC).

Not a Chipotle fan, but perhaps I can find a good deli or pizza place (I've heard NY pizza is good). I'm not sure exactly what I'd like to see. Some items that come to mind are the Statue of Liberty (even if it's just from a ferry ride around the island), central park, possibly the Empire State Bldg, 9/11 memorial, and The Metropolitan Museum of Art. I imagine that's too much for one day, so I'll have to prioritize.

We actually went to NYC recently and pulled off all of this in right at 24 hours. We started early and got breakfast in a little shop and went to the Met. We ate hot dogs on the steps and then walked by Central Park on the way to the 9/11 memorial. From there we got on the Staten Island ferry for free. It has a fabulous view of the Statue of Liberty. And of the NYC skyline.

Personally, I felt like the lines were long at the 9/11 memorial to see the fountains of water. I think they are opening a museum sometime soon, but it wasn't open when we were there. If I had it to do again, I would skip the 9/11 memorial. It took too long to get in and we just didn't have enough time. You also needed to reserve tickets over the internet when we went last summer. So, be sure to check into that before hand.

The Met is overwhelming. You could spend a week there. If you like art, I would skip the memorial and spend more time at The Met. It is also by donation only, so it works well on a low budget. The auditory tour headset that you can get is really good. It is also by donation. You could really spend a delightful day at The Met and Central Park. They are right across the street from each other. If I were by myself, I might be tempted to do that instead of attempting to navigate all over the city.

NYC is possibly the most amazing place I have ever been. I was surprised by how much I loved it. I actually cried when we left! So, I say, DO IT!