Menu

Language for 2nd-3rd grade

mamiof5

Hi everyone! I don't post much around here (this is my first year homeschooling, so honestly, can offer very little advice so I don't post a lot :(), but I do read constantly, and it's such a helpful place!! Lots of "long time" homeschoolers out here, who make me feel I can do this :)

Anyway...Language arts... please help!!! Trying to plan ahead for next year... definitely would like to try "Rod and Staff", but I get the impression that is grammar only. We do AAS and we like it so far (so spelling is covered). But I realized the other day I have done no vocab at all this year! ugh! Trying to do some research I ran into this:

http://www.aaaspell.com/vocabulary_lists/10315/exercises?1

Has anyone done this one? Is it any good? I like that it's free :)

So, would appreciate any vocab advice. What has worked for you? And what about reading comprenhension? Any specific curriculums/plans that you recommend?

Any help is appreciated!! Loving homeschooling, but choosing the curriculum and trying to make sure I do enough is overwhelming :p

Second grade LA:

FLL 2

WWE (text)

ETC 6-8

AAS

ZB handwriting

SL readers

We don't do anything for vocabulary-- just read a lot!

3rd grade LA (our plans for next year)

FLL 3

WWE (text)/ Bravewriter

Copywork/copybook

AAS

SL readers

I may add some kind of workbook for reading comprehension next year because my dd struggles with it. If she didn't, I wouldn't worry about it.

So, would appreciate any vocab advice. What has worked for you? And what about reading comprenhension? Any specific curriculums/plans that you recommend?

Any help is appreciated!! Loving homeschooling, but choosing the curriculum and trying to make sure I do enough is overwhelming :p

I can't comment on R&S at all, but we also like AAS here.

We don't do vocab as a separate subject in Gr. 2 / 3. We feel that, at that age, reading widely will do the most for their vocabulary.

As for comprehension, I just ask my dds to narrate what they've read back to me, either informally (in a casual conversation) or formally (where I write what they tell me). When we read books together, we stop to talk about what is happening and make predictions. That's it!

We don't do a separate vocab program in younger grades either. We do practice vocab by occasionally looking up a spelling word in the dictionary. If we come to a word in our reading time that I dont think they have been exposed to before, I give a simple definition or we use a thesaurus to see if we can come up with a definition ourselves. Dictionary work can be really fun for younger kids. My kids love being the first to find a word and read the definition.

I prefer to get a separate writing curriculum in addition to R&S English. Although R&S has some writing, I prefer to do more.

As the others said, vocabulary is best learned thorugh reading and talking. However, I also use Vocabulary Workshop workbooks starting in 2nd grade. I have been happier with thiese than with others I have tried.

I have used Evan Moor Skills Sharpeners Reading workbooks to help with reading comprehension. In addition, I have my kids read aloud to me every day for 10-15 minutes, and then I ask comprehension questions to them after they have read a section. WWE is a good way to help kids practice listening comprehension and summarizing skills. We do WWE once in a while (not every week) mostly for this purpose.

Hope you have a good year!

while i do believe that plenty of vocab can be picked up just through reading, we do use wordly wise 3000 books with the free online component because my dd LOVES it. it's her favorite subject.

here's my plan for next year (3rd)

fll3

writing tales/bravewriter

etc 5-7

wordly wise 3

and something for spelling- maybe evan moore?

We mostly do vocab through reading. The best thing I have found to advance any child I have worked with in reading in general is to read aloud. We read aloud out of something every day that is at least a little bit challenging. With us we each have a copy of the book and take turns reading paragraphs for 15 minutes. They learn some from hearing me, and some from me correcting them. If they cannot pronounce a word I can pretty much assume they might not know what it means. Quick pause to define it and move on. We also will stop every once in a while and comment on what is happening. I also got my husband involved, at dinner he asks them questions about what they read today. I keep him up to date on what we are learning and he asks them specific questions about different subjects. I think it helps alot because they want to have something to tell daddy.

Christina

Everything my 2nd grader is doing is in my siggy. I agree that reading is a natural way to increase and work on vocabulary. We've added in some lap books with our read alouds that have helped target specific vocabulary. Next year, for 3rd grade, we will continue with Rod and Staff, add in Writing Strands, Chronicles of Narnia literature study and switch to Building Spelling Skills by CLP.

One thing I found to be fun with my 1st grader, if we come across a word he doesn't know I write in on an index card and we find a picture (if possible) of what it is and a short definition. He enjoys going back through these to review his words. But this is very laid back, just something we've done for fun.